Teen Engagment..

Im a 16 year old mother on here. My bestfriend is 15 and is dating a 16 year old and they are without a dout in love. She called me lastnight telling me that her boyfriend told her he's going to get a ring for her for christmas and propose, but they wont get married untill their about 19 or 20 honestly i think they'll make it. But i feel like i should be giving her some advice. Does anyone have any advice i can give her or you input on this situation?NO BASHING PLEASE.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• As a parent with teenagers and also as a parent who married at 17yrs old (still married after 19yrs) I would encourage her to wait. You have heard the saying, "Love waits", and if they are truly in love then when she turns 18yrs old and has graduated high school then they can get married. Of course the ideal situation would be to finish college and have a career first. I know many people do not wish to go the college route in their lives but it does make for a better financial situation.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:52 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I meant to say that I understand that they are getting engaged only but they should wait along with any marriage plans.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:53 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My advice would be don't rush anything! Even when they are old enough to get married, don't jump the gun. I got married at 17 and we are still married now but it was hard, really hard.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 10:55 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Tell her that men regress when they comfortable, and to be prepared for all of his bad habits and such to come out. To be patient no matter how much she would like to throw furniture or appliances at him. Communication is the key. The situation is what you make of it.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 11:09 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• i too got married at 17,if they are truly in love ,love will wait 5 or 6 yrs,youre not the same person at 15 that you will be at 21
    lifeisgood176

Answer by lifeisgood176 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• what is it you want to give her advice on ,do you think she shouldnt be getting engaged so young ? if so its hard b/c she is so in love she wouldnt listen to you any way ,so let her learn herself and get on with it .just be there for her if it all goes pear shaped in the future .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• it sounds like they have it under control. Not sure there is any better advice than waiting and they have that covered. Life has a way of working things out so we don't always have to advise.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:35 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• i wondered the same thing what kind of advice. it's more that you should just be supportive and happy. maybe she shouldn't get her hopes to high cause they still have a few more yrs to go.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I'm 17, and a soon-to-be mother. Once I found out I was pregnant, the father and I got married immediately! Not only because of the pregnancy, but the feelings that went with it. We have had strong feelings for each other for a while, but didn't take action because we thought we were too young (and the father is 22.) Now, I understand that they are in love, trust me, I've been there. But they've not fully grown up yet. They won't be the same people they are now in 5 years or so. They might not even have the same feelings toward each other, everything could change. So while it's a cute idea, and I'm sure ideal to them.. It'd be better for him to give her a promise ring. More of a "i promise that one day when we're definitely ready, I will propose to you"
    :)
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 11:32 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I don't think there is anything wrong with them being engaged. I think that their decision to wait a few years to get married is a very mature one. I got married when I was 16. I'm 18 now and my husband is 21 now and we're still happily married with a 10 month old son.
    yunglovers143

Answer by yunglovers143 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 8, 2008