meds for depression

Does anyone else take them? which ones? and do they work for you? I am thinking about talking to my doctor about going on them...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Health

• I was put on doxepin which is an anti-depressant, however they put me on it for the headaches I was having because they were due to stress. The doxepin works pretty well to take care of them, but they failed to tell me that it can be really hard to come off an anti-depressant without having withdrawal symptoms. I have tried 3 times to go off mine, even "weaning" myself off and within 2 days of not having them I have really bad symptoms, like throwing up,shaky,dizziness,headaches,Im freezing, tired, its horrible!! Just make sure you mention this to them, if I knew this would have happened I never would have started them.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I've been on Effexor on and off for years now. It's the only medicine that's really worked for me. It is hard to get off because you do have withdrawls, and as with any anti-depressant you have to stop when you're pregnant.
    SuzL1026

Answer by SuzL1026 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• SuzL1026: I have to disagree with you as for having to stop ANY anti-depressants when you are pregnant. I went on Zoloft after having my second and still take it today - which means I was on it all through my pregnancy with my 3rd. I like Zoloft and feel better on it. I haven't even tried to go off it since it is working. Doesn't make sense to stop something that works????

OP - It's good you are looking for others opinions of their experiences. I have had nothing but good with Zoloft for the past 8 yrs. It has also helped me NOT gain weight - which a lot of them can!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Try changing your lifestyle first. Medication gets rid of symptoms but will not cure you. If you ever wanted to stop the problem would still be there.

Eat plenty of fruits - lots and lots, as much as you desire before meals.
    Have a green smoothie daily - greens are nutritious.
    Make sure you get plenty of fresh air and sunlight.
    Exercise.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:33 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I've been on celexa for a little over a year. I love it, it's the best thing I did. No side effects, no weight gain, not sleepy...just happy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I just have severe mood swings and it doesnt help that depression and bipolar runs in my family
    Anonymous

• I take lexapro i can tell such a big difference i have so much more patients, im alot happier and alot of the the other depressions med my doctor said make you feel tired and gain weigh she said lexapro does none of that and actually it started working in 4 days i could tell such a difference
    WvMommyof3

Answer by WvMommyof3 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• really yuo like celexa???
    Anonymous

• A nurse practitioner prescribed me zoloft for depression/anxiety. However, it interacts with my synthroid and I also don't feel a Family practice Nurse practitioner can come to the conclusion that I require an antidepressant after seeing me for 15 minutes. So I haven't taken it yet. I used to take Paxil then I took Prozac and then I took Effexor and finally I just decided not to take any antidepressants. I am not depressed, but I do have anxiety/insomnia and she wouldn't give me ambien or xanax to help with either of the two symptoms. I can't get to a psychiatrist because I don't know what to do with my younger children at appointments..But honestly, I don't think I need to be on anything long term. Just something to get me through my anxiety spells.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2008