How can legally make our wages look less?

I'm having difficulty trying to explain this....Dh works for gov. (City of New York). DH has found out that our rent cost can decrease from $1,600.00 a month to about $900.00 to $1,000.00 a month.
Here is the catch in order to qualify for this housing program families must meet certain income limits. We exceed the limit by $800 and they wouldn't qualify us.
It is there something we can do to or the employer can do to have the report wages be lower? I hope you moms can understand my question. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• If they only count taxable income, you can max out your pension plan contributions, and put money in health savings and child care accounts to make them pre-tax income, but that only helps if that's how they count it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:37 AM on May. 20, 2011

• so " how can I cheat the system" is your question.
    Uhmmm.....NO. Pay what everyone else does, no freeloading lady
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:23 AM on May. 20, 2011

• No, and to do so would be lying and welfare fruad. If you don't like the rent you pay, look for something less expensive, don't expect the tax payers to cover nearly half your rent for you.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:27 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Rent is high everywhere. My dh makes $10 an hour and our rent is $600 a month. It does not mean you can cheat the system and believe me if you try you will get caught.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on May. 20, 2011

• It is there something we can do to or the employer can do to have the report wages be lower?
    ---
    LOL
    yeah, he can FIRE you, so that you can report an income of $0.00.
    OMFG, so glad you are anon.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:25 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Generally no. His employer can write a letter stating his income has changed and he is making less and how much less he is making. I doubt an employer would want to lie for you guys though.

Answer by gemgem at 9:23 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Nothing that you can do. The guidelines are there for a reason. Everyone would love to have a break on their rent but it is just not the way that things work.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:25 AM on May. 20, 2011

• What kills me is that this woman is asking for her husband's employer which is the Government to lie for her to receive more benefits provided by the government to get lower rent. While taxpayers are paying for their benefits, salaries and now she wants her rent paid also. Effin Scumbags are everywhere today.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Can you cut back on the other bills? Cable, cell phone plan, liability only car insurance? Credit card payments, shift them around or ask for lower interest? Many power companies have a plan where you can pay a set amount each month regardless of your actually bill, they average out the last 12 months' bills and will review it every 6 months to decrease or increase set amount......that's all I can think of right now.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 9:30 AM on May. 20, 2011

• No, you don't need a lawyer. You just need to pay your rent, and stop looking for handouts and freebies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on May. 20, 2011