• In the Spotlight:

start potty training?

When do you start trying to potty train a little boy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i didnt my son potty trained himself at 4
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I had my first potty trained by the time he was 15 mos. I was a sahm at the time so I was able to work with him. My second was trained until he was around 3. Single by that time and between me and my mom, we gradually worked with him. It is really the preference of the child. Don't push it until you see they are comfortable with it. I wish I would have done that with my first. I think I pushed more than I should getting him trained and caused a lot of frustration with him at the time.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 11:23 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Train him when he gives you signs. As in his doesn't like to be wet or dirty, staying dry from the night before. Google for tips, every child is different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I would say when he shows signs of being ready. Though boys tend to train later then girls I think its a good idea to introduce around age 2. Pick a consistant routine and stick with it. Buy a child size potty or seat insert and step stool. Take him at regular intervals. Assist with taking off the diaper and having him throw it away. Have him sit for a minute or two. Then have him wipe and put on a clean diaper and wash hands. I would forgo pull-ups and just use diapers untill he is ready for underwear. Pull-ups are expensive and confusing. Summer is a wonderful time for potty training because you can put them in underwear and spend time outside and not worry about accidents in the house if your outside alot.
    the_mama_life

Answer by the_mama_life at 8:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2008