Maybe I'm over reacting but...

my 10 mth old is not walking or crawling..the drs tell me that its ok but my other 2 kids were walking on there own at 9.5 mths..they tell me it could be bc she was born 10.5lbs but i'm not buying that..not sure if i should get a 2nd opinion or not

kimberly231982

Asked by kimberly231982 at 9:35 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter started walking at 10.5 months and sometimes kids skip the whole crawling stage all together. She'll walk whenever she's ready all children are different and progress at different times.
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 9:36 AM on May. 20, 2011

• most kids don't walk before they turn one.. it's more common for kids to walk between 12-18 months.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:37 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I agree with the answer Eisleysmommy27. Every child progresses at their own rate regardless of what their siblings have done. Don't worry momma. It'll happen soon enough :)
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 9:38 AM on May. 20, 2011

• My brothers daughter didn't walk until she was 14 months. There is nothing wrong with her. All children develop differently.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:38 AM on May. 20, 2011

• All children like all pregancies are different! That being said did you have an anmial that your others followed or something that the other babies wanted that the ten month old dosen't have . I find that when a child wants something it can't get to They will start walking or crawling to get to it!!
    pamdolen

Answer by pamdolen at 9:39 AM on May. 20, 2011

• My first 2 kids were quick to crawl and walk. My 3rd dd had absolutely no reason to move. She didn't actually crawl till her first b-day and that was, I think because another kid took something from her. She's used to her brother and sister giving her everything when she makes the slightest noise. She also didn't walk till she was 15 months old.
    I wouldn't worry about it. My dr told me we would look into things if she wasen't walking by 16 months. She got it just under the wire. Enjoy the fact that you have a baby who is not getting into absolutely everything!!!!!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:40 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Babies have their own timetable when it comes to reaching their milestones. I would give it a little more time. My 3 boys were late walkers, my oldest was 14 mo, my youngest was 13 mo and my middle did not walk until he was almost 2 (he had developmental delays). If you really think that there is a problem of if your baby is not walking by 18 mo you could ask your doctor for a referral. My son went to our local Birth to 3 Program when he was 18 mo (due to not walking) and they found he was developmentally delayed in all 3 areas (physical, occupational, speech) so he started therapy with them. Remember some babies do not crawl- they go right to walking (my bil and an uncle were like that).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:40 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Dd started at 10 months. My friends Dd just started walking at 17 months- but she talks A LOT. Kids focus their energies on different things. Get her push toys to help encourage her mobility.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:41 AM on May. 20, 2011

• The doctor is right on this one. You just had two that were earlier walkers. There is really nothing to worry about unless they are not walking by about a year and a half and even then they just might be late. Don't worry so much!
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:43 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Calm down. My third child was normal weight and size but he was so entertained by his sissies he was never really interested. Then one day he stood up and chased them. He was 18 months old.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 9:44 AM on May. 20, 2011