Who pays for a government mandated sonogram?

Texas Sonogram Abortion Law Signed By Rick Perry

Texas Abortion Bill

First Posted: 05/19/11 10:39 PM ET Updated: 05/19/11 10:48 PM ET

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - Texas Governor Rick Perry Thursday signed into law a measure requiring women seeking an abortion in the state to first get a sonogram.

Texas is one of several U.S. states with strong Republican legislative majorities proposing new restrictions on abortion this year. The Republican governor had designated the bill as an emergency legislative priority, putting it on a fast track.

Under the law, women will have to wait 24 hours after the sonogram before having an abortion, though the waiting time is two hours for those who live more than 100 miles from an abortion provider.

"Governor Perry was pleased to sign this important legislation, which bolsters our efforts to protect life by ensuring Texans are fully
informed when considering such an important decision,'' said Katherine Cesinger, a spokeswoman for the governor.

A sonogram is an imaging technique using high-frequency sound waves to produce images of a developing baby in a woman's uterus.

Under the measure, women will be offered the option of hearing the heartbeat and seeing the sonogram image, which they may decline. But the woman's doctor must describe the image, explaining the size of the embryo or fetus and the presence of organs and limbs.

Advertisement In certain cases, including those involving rape and incest victims or serious fetal abnormalities, the woman could decline to hear the description of the sonogram.

Opponents of the legislation said the law interferes in the doctor-patient relationship by adding a government requirement for a procedure that could be traumatizing to women going through an already difficult situation.

During debate on the House floor in March, Democratic state Representative Carol Alvarado wielded a trans-vaginal probe used for sonograms early in pregnancy.

"This is government intrusion at its best,'' she said during that debate.

(Editing by Will Dunham)

Who pays for a government mandated sonogram?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:43 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• The tax payers do - small price to pay to potentially save a life, dontcha think?

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:45 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Tax payers do why do u want to know?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:45 AM on May. 20, 2011

• the same people who paid for the turtle tunnels.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:46 AM on May. 20, 2011

• It sound like it's done at the abortion clinic so I'm sure it will come out of the fee the woman has to pay to get the abortion done.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 9:47 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Not really sure in this case. TX doesnt have state taxes so unless its coming out of federal (which it shouldnt) I would imagine it would come out of the fiscal budget for the state... which that money could go to....idk....education? Prevention? things that are better use for it.

Rick Perry is a moron. If Texans were smart they would vote him out of office. He's destroying an amazing state. BTW I am a Texas Resident.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 9:47 AM on May. 20, 2011

• The patient. You gotta pay to play. If you are truly pro-choice, then you should want them to have all of the information before making their choice. I don't have a problem with this bill at all, and I am pro-choice. The patient should have as much information as possible to make the most informed choice.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:47 AM on May. 20, 2011

• sound like it's done at the abortion clinic so I'm sure it will come out of the fee the woman has to pay to get the abortion done.

She may not get it done,,,,and its not all the same...if she doesn't want one, why should she HAVE to pay for one?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:48 AM on May. 20, 2011

•  

The tax payers do - small price to pay to potentially save a life, dontcha think?

No

sweet-a-kins

• Rick Perry is a moron. If Texans were smart they would vote him out of office. He's destroying an amazing state. BTW I am a Texas Resident

So am I and when I saw that our choice was either Perry or Bill White, all I had to do was look at the condition of Houston and I had my answer. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:49 AM on May. 20, 2011

•  

The patient. You gotta pay to play. If you are truly pro-choice, then you should want them to have all of the information before making their choice. I don't have a problem with this bill at all, and I am pro-choice. The patient should have as much information as possible to make the most informed choice.

Why should the patient be forced to have a medical test , and have to pay for it..when its NOT needed, NOT medically necessary?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:49 AM on May. 20, 2011