• In the Spotlight:

Cat Owners: Need Advice About My Cat PLEASE

I have 4 cats that are all fixed males. They all get along perfectly, nobody tries to be the alpha--all they do is play and lick each other. We've had them for quite a while and haven't had any problems. UNTIL I realized that one of our cats, Hunter, has recently started peeing on the bathroom rug every day instead of using the litterbox. He uses the litterbox sometimes but usually pees on the bathroom rug. We keep the litterboxes totally clean so I don't understand what the heck could be going on. Any advice??? I don't think it's a medical problem.

emmyandlisa

Asked by emmyandlisa at 9:46 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Pets

• I have had a few cats go through this. It is typically a uti or renal failure and not a behavioral problem. Call your vet and set your cat alone and and get a urine sample that you can take with you to the vet. They will give you a cup so that you can take it in. If you don't fix the problem now you will be putting your cat at risk for more problems. My parents had a cat that would pee next to the box. She had an undiagnosed uti for several years and now she is on a sopecial diet to help prevent them. I hope he feels better soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:24 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Get him checked out by his vet. More often than not it's a medical problem.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:48 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Sorry I don' have an anwser, but have you looked on Catser for anwser?? They have cat experts there!!!
    pamdolen

Answer by pamdolen at 9:48 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I agree with craftingMama, when they start doing this something is not right.

Answer by older at 9:49 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Cats will do that when they have a bladder infection or something else so maybe a call to the vet just to check. If you are keeping the litter boxes clean (cause when you dont they will pee elsewhere) then it could be that. Cats are picky and want clean places and so he also may want his own spot to go too. He may like the feel of the soft rug. I had to remove the rug in the bathroom because my boy did it too.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:50 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Call the vet,it could be a uti.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:50 AM on May. 20, 2011

• It could be for attention or it could be a medical problem. Our cat did that for a while and we to them to the vet. She actually had a bladder infection and they gave her medicine. You can try calling the vet and tell them what is going on. They will let you know if they think he needs to be seen. Best of luck!
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 9:50 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Completely clean the rug, in fact, you might want to get rid of it. If he can smell any urine on it he will continue to go there.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:50 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Are you perhaps using a fabric softener that smells like the deodorant in the cat litter? We figured this out when my one male was peeing on the kitchen rug. Try washing the rug separately and air dry it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:55 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Toss the rug and get a new one. Only leave the new rug down when you are using it and then hang it up. For some reason cats just love to use those rugs.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 9:56 AM on May. 20, 2011