smoking, stress, pregnant and a 2yr old.. no bashing please...

well i am very stressed and hadnt smoked until someone in my family died.. well stupid me i started smoking again... well i was off my depression meds for about a week, and now all i want to do is smoke until my meds kick back in.. i am screaming at my son ect.. i know smoking is bad but i feel worse for yelling at my son all the time.. just until my meds kick in... any one else has smoked when pregnant was everything ok??? i am 8 months pregnant!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• DO NOT beat yourself up for being stressed out. I would like a woman reading this who has never yelled at her child because of stress, or maybe made a bad choice to raise their hand-I would like to give you an award!Here is what my team of high risk docs told me-and they showed me a study to back it up cuz I didn't believe what I was hearing. The effects of chronic stress on a fetus is very dangerous,and if a cigarette calms that, no more than 3 a day. Now before anyone jumps on this with 3 pages of facts-I know any amount is bad BUT they studied stress levels in babies and the smoking was the lesser-because mom calmed down. Long story short-you are not killing your 8 month old baby with a few cigarettes while waiting for meds, and the crisis to calm down honey. I hope things look up for you soon and the meds will kick in any day. I take them as well so I KNOW that someone who has never been there,can't get it.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• try finding something else to relieve your stress.

Its a irresponsible to start smoking again just to relieve your stress when you are pregnant, especially when you could find an alternative to reliving your strain whether that be talking it through with a friend, exercising or going for a walk, or simply find time to wind down.

It is very unfair to shout at your 2 year old as well...so I would try to calm yourself down for his sake more than anything.

You go on about all you need your meds..but really you need a whole life style change. Medication doesnt treat anything but symptoms.

Smoking could affect your unborn child in very subtle ways that you might not realize at first.

I know addictions can be strong and horrible but if you focus on your children you should be able to move past this onto some healthy sress reliever.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:30 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Honestly no....I smoke like 2-3 a day while i was pregnant with my son. my first. and he was born at 34wks with MAJOR breathing problems. I had to have a c-sec and i didnt even get to see him. I knew something was wrong when they said he was a boy but i didnt hear any crying. they rushed him to the NICU and he spent 2wks there on oxegyn and a feeding tube. everyday for a week they told me not to expect him to make it. He was 6 lbs 5 ozs when he was born though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• it depends on how much and when you started back up....
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 11:30 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Girlllll you know that it is bad for the baby. i don't care what anyone who has smoked during pregnancy says. i think your are finding excuses to smoke and make yourself feel better for it. Your 8 mos and have done well, don't start now wait until that baby is born!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• When it comes to smoking it blows my mind why people do it, I lost my mother to c.o.p.d. when i was 19 and im now 25 yrs old...When you go through that it really opens your eyes up first of all it was irresponsiable for you to go off your depression meds, That is such a selfish thing to do to your unborn child this child didnt ask to be brough into this world.....STOP smoking it's common sense!!!
    Anonymous

• i smoked with both my kids and i smoked 2 packs aday and both my kids were born healthy they were both over 8 ibs yes some babies do come out with health problems but not all of them due to smoking some babies whos mother didnt smoke come out with health problems
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Smoking during pregnancy has also been linked to things like ADHD and schizophrenia. I'm a psychology major at UCLA so i've read a lot of research on this type of stuff. Like someone above noted, many things that smoking can cause will not show up until later on in life...You might not notice right when the baby is born. I would strongly suggest out of true care and concern that you try to quit smoking and go to some kind of therapy to relieve your stress. There are low cost clinics out there. Call 211 (it's like 411) and they will be able to connect you to some kind of social service in your area. Please think of your baby right now!
    LittleMonster22

Answer by LittleMonster22 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I 'm 7 months pregnant and quit smoking at 5 months. I quit by switching from cigarettes to jolly ranchers. Give it a try
    Anonymous