3-1/2 year old trying to get out his Window.....long :(

Max and I battled last night and I can't believe what happened. So we got home and went running ( him in the running stroller ), well he was already in Whine mode but we went for it anyway.. he doesn't stop talking about wanting to go to the park, now anytime we've run, we run first THEN he gets to go to the park but it was late and dad was running late from work so today I said lets just run buddy and then we'll go to the park tomorrow, he wasn't ok with that and started on about how he never gets to go to the park, all he wants to do is go to the park, so I asked him to stop whining please, Max, stop now. Max, enough now, you get to go to the park a lot. Finally I turned the running stroller around because I was upset at this point. then he got upset because I turned it around and he knew I was mad, then he started crying which upset us BOTH more, i tried to ignore it which I'm never good at because it gets on my nerves so bad.. we FINALLY get home and at this time I am yelling and he's crying full force at this point, time out time, then he lost toys for not stopping crying I sent him in his room because I was only getting more mad listening to it.. I took a mommy time out and tried to breath out my anger - I walk in his room while he's still crying and he's standing in his window frame saying "how do I get out of here? I need to get out of here" I grabbed him and just started crying and hugging him telling him never do that, don't ever do that and I just am in shock... it scared me SO much I don't even know what to do now...
Ok- I have to totally get a grip on my frustration levels lately and I feel terrible about this.. I don't even know what to think. He already has been diagnosed with Anxiety through ECI so I am thinking he had a mini anxiety attack and now I don't know what to do - I'm scared to yell at him, I am scared that I am getting SO frustrated lately, I'm scared and can't stop picturing him standing in his window trying to get out :(
What am I supposed to do? I am planning on taking a second course with the parenting class I took last year because CLEALY I'm not doing well... but now I'm scared to even get upset... I am completely embarressed and upset but deserve any bashing I get so I am not using the Anon...

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:12 AM on May. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• don't be so hard on yourself.. :) all mom go through this at some point you didn't beat the child.. you took a mom time out sounds like you handled it pretty well.. next time he wants something instead of arguing just keep saying he will get the point.. maybe when you walk buddy don't go near the park.. also don't give any attention to his whining.. the support group sounds like a good idea * hugs* you didn't do anything to get bashed.. geez I have the worlds stubborn 8 year old methods that work on other children like be consistent, staying clam etc don't work she pushed me to the point of swearing so yeah I get it.. I did apologize to her
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:13 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Most Mommies have meltdowns at some point...I have them 3 times a month. You should probably either nail his window shut or make sure it has safety locks. Some new windows cannot be opened unless you slide locks over and then lift.
    As far as the tantrum he threw, I would sit with him at the breakfast table this morning and while he is eating his breakfast talk to him calmly about what happened. Tell him you understand why he was upset (his routine was upset...however you want to put it) but that sometimes we have to do things in a different way even if we do not want to. Tell him you love him but he can't climb up to his window because it is very very dangerous. Then tell him the next time you go running you will go to the park but only if he does *insert your preference here*. I hope this helps:)
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 10:27 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Its hard to avoid the melt down but what you should do is join a support group for parents with children who have anxiety they have been there and maybe can help you. Its hard to be a parent in general but this will add stress take a time out for yourself put him in his room and take a second to compose what you might say and do not let the behavior go just take sometime before you speak to him. ((((HUGS)))))!!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:34 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Well the Window was locked and has a special childproof locking system where IF he would have gotten it open, unlocked, it would have only gone 2 inches but I guess it scared me that he had that feeling of " I have to get out of here"
    I suffer from Anxiety and so does my husband so the thought of my tiny little man having those at 3 tears me up... and I feel the one to cause it.
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 10:35 AM on May. 20, 2011