Men's rights and abortion!!!!

I watched Grey's Anatomy last night and saw that Dr. Yang decided to get an abortion without her husband's input, knowledge, and or consent. Do you think it's fair for the father of the unborn child to not have a say so in whether the mother should receive an abortion, especially if the father is against it? Do you feel their should be better laws protecting the father's rights toward his unborn child?

I keep hearing my body my choice.l..why force a woman to bear a child she doesn't want.  what about the unborn child rights? do you feel there should be better laws protecting the unborn child if atleast one parent wants to have the child?

marie0430815

Asked by marie0430815 at 10:16 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Ultimately it's her decision because it's her body carrying the baby. Giving a father the right to refuse an abortion also would open the doors to him having the right to make her have one.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:39 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I do. I get the whole "it's my body" thing and all, but unless he raped you, you allowed him to use your body already. If we want fathers to have just as much invested in their kids as mothers we need to give them the same rights - and that includes not allowing the mothers to abort the baby without the father's agreement.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:20 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I think fathers should have as much right as the mothers. Women are always using the "it takes two to tango" argument in some circumstances, child support for example, and yet in this situation suddenly the child is her "possession" only. Obviously it's not enforcable but do I THINK that it shouldn't happen that way, yes.
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 10:26 AM on May. 20, 2011

• then a father should have the right to sign-off on a child and not support it. fair's fair. or it isn't.
    we cry about women's rights all day long...and the man better dang-sure pay for our choice. that doesn't seem logical, ethical, or morally responsible on the woman's part.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:52 AM on May. 20, 2011

• it's up to the woman to decide whether or not she wants to tell the father, and whether or not she wants to take his advice.

for those of you saying if the woman doesn't want to keep the baby, she should sign her rights over when it's born, how would you feel if you were forced to carry an unwanted pregnancy to term against your will?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:25 AM on May. 20, 2011

• If it's your husband/boyfriend then he does have a say! Its his child too! It's disgustingly wrong to have an abortion behind your husbands back. If its a married couple I do believe that the man should have rights, women don't get pregnant by themselves...we NEED a man so why should it be just the woman's say? That makes no sense to me.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 10:29 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I think it is morally wrong to do that without telling your husband or the father, but then again I believe all abortion is morally wrong. Do I think men should have more rights? No I dont. I think if someone marries someone who would do this without consulting them then obviously they did not know the person well enough to know if they shared the same beliefs or wants. In the end a relationship like that will fail.

Answer by gemgem at 10:18 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I disagree with abortion anyway, but I don't think it's ever going away, so YES, I think father's rights SHOULD be protected! He was involved in the conception, therefore he should have some say in it.

CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 10:19 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Yes to the first question. No to the second question.

As soon as a man can carry the pregnancy then he gets a say.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:20 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I don't think a man should have a say with what a woman does, but I DO think that men should have the SAME choices that women do. If a woman can opt out of motherhood, a man should be able to opt out of fatherhood. Not by 'forcing' a woman to do anything, but by signing a piece of paper and having no further obligations to the woman or the child if the woman chooses to continue the pregnancy. No child support, no visitation, no endless court battles for a child he either doesn't want or is never allowed to be a father to. Perhaps instead of getting child support the woman should be paying a fee for the never ending use of the man's sperm and genetics.

Our laws in this matter are not fair and they are not equal. Sorry, but I don't think that a woman who uses a child for a paycheck or control of a man is much of a mom ... or a woman. Children deserve much better, and men are NOT less deserving of consideration OR 'rights'.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:14 AM on May. 20, 2011