How can I get my 4 mont old to sleep at night without his pacifier?

My 4 month old wakes up about 6 times at night for his pacifier. I've been told by my doctor to let him cry it out. When I asked how long I should let him cry for before I get him he said 30 minutes. I can't seem to let him go more then 10 minutes of crying becasue I'm afraid that he feels abondoned and scared. Is letting him cry for 30 minutes the right thing to do or is it just torture for both me and my baby? And will this help with him being able to sleep through the night without his pacifier?

Katie143

Asked by Katie143 at 10:34 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe, maybe not. All you can do is try it. Or not if you think the doctor's advice does not mesh with your parenting style.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:35 AM on May. 20, 2011

• 4 month olds wake up. It's their nature. IMO, I wouldn't let him cry, I would give him the paci and deal with it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:35 AM on May. 20, 2011

• 30 minutes is a pretty long time...in my opinion anyway. With my first child I did CIO...I hated it. I think 10 minutes is about how long a 4 month old should cry before someone picks him up. That is still a very young baby. I don't even let my one year old cry that long...or any of my kids for that matter. I think that you should put him to sleep without the pacifier in the first place. Do your same night time routine sans the pacifier and see how that goes. It might take a week but he will eventually get used to it if you stick with it.
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 10:37 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I know the thing you are susposed to do is let them cry it out, but I would never do it. I gave up, hearing the crying is painful. And too, I would give in just so I could sleep!! My dd had a pacifier until she was 4 yrs old. Somehow she managed to hold onto it all night as a baby. You just do whatever you feel you should. But, I think it is too early to try to get the pacifier away.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 10:38 AM on May. 20, 2011

• oh the pacie! lol both my girls used them and i was actully more tortured trying to take it from them, lol. i tried breaking them i would say 7 times, i let them cry but couldn't stand it and gave it back, lol. i relized i needed to wait till they we're old enough to talk to to take it and they would understand better. so i waited for the right time for me they we're 2 and 1yr, but by that time they we're only using it at night not during the day, but one day i said girls ok today is the day we need to feed the trashcans the binkys( thats what they called them) and we throw them in the trash, i explained they we're big girls now, and they would ask for them back and i would say, oh we gave them to trash remember, lol and it was much easier. i know it drive you crazy to have to run in his room to give it to him all night, but that will pass and he will be able to put it in his own mouth. this is just how i handled it
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 10:40 AM on May. 20, 2011

• If baby is a bottle fed baby, some of them need a paci because they have a non nutritive sucking need that needs to be fulfilled and can't suck on a bottle to get it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:40 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I would let the poor baby have the pacifier. He's only 4 months old & obviously it soothes him. Is he waking up because you are removing it when he falls asleep or because it just falls out of his mouth? My Son used to have a suck-hold on that thing that you needed a semi truck to remove it! Just kidding, but it never fell out. I just left it in and let him sleep. You have plenty of time to wean him of the pacifier later. I never ever did the cry it out thing. The stress of it on ME wasn't worth it. My Son always slept well too.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:41 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Geesh I must be heartless but I have no problem with letting my little one cry it out. You guys make me feel like the worst Mom. I would just do what you feel comfortable with. I think 4 months is early to take away the pacifier though.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:41 AM on May. 20, 2011

• just leave him on it. try co sleeping a few nights, see how that works for you. it'll be easier to get the pacifier. if he knows how to put it in himself, attach it to his clothes. and i dont know about the cry it out method. worked with my second child , not at all with my first. if ur child responds to it, it'll really help, but if not, then dont go for it. and 30 minutes is way too long, i'd never let my baby cry that much. my second child would just play around til she fell asleep. a good tip i learned is to put a blanket on the floor of the family room when the baby is really sleepy that way he'll roll around and learn to sleep on his own with you guys around him, then when he's used to that, he'll learn how to sleep alone in the crib on his own. u'll thank me.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 10:43 AM on May. 20, 2011

• My breastfed babies wanted a pacifier much more so then my one bottle fed one. I think that it is just a natural way for them to soothe themselves. It is reall neither here nor there whether you breastfeed or not but I would just do whatever you feel more comfortable with but I would let him keep his pacifier and maybe put a time on crying it out and if that does not work then give him the pacifier back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on May. 20, 2011