Baby really freaked me out! adult content

my daughter is 9 months old,second child. anyways her dad was playing her and sat her down next to him and she started screaming. i was watching from the kitchen, i told him to calm her down til i made her a bottle. she kept screaming non stop for like 3 minutes, her stomach was very hard and when i checked her diaper, there was a VERY large dry stool she couldn't get out, her bottom was all red and bluish, and she was in soo much pain. i tried everything, she kept screaming. i freaked out (gross) and reached in and broke it up for her, then SOO much started to come out, it was crazy. she could have filled up 2 diapers. i dont know what i did wrong. after she took her bottle and slept, it exhausted her. poor thing. i felt so happy i did that. her dad freaked out and insisted taking her to the hospital or clinic, i said i think she's better now and i'll see if she needs medical attention later on when she wakes up. you think i should take her? she's still taking her nap. could this be something worse.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like she is constipated. I would just try to increase her liquid intake and go from there.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:39 AM on May. 20, 2011

• You could always call your doctor's office and speak with a nurse, or call a nurse line, to see if she needs medical attention.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 10:41 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Try some baby food prunes for her. Anything with raspberries would work on my dd as a baby. If that does not work, call and talk to your nurse.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 10:41 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I don't think you did anything wrong. She is constipated. You should ask her doctor if she needs suppositories. This is the first time this has happened? Think about her diet. Is it primarily dairy based? Think about what would happen to your system if you ate mostly dairy. If she can handle solids give her a prune or two, cut up in little pieces. If not buy a jar of prunes. This will help soften her stools.If she waked up and has not had another bowel movement overnight you may want to take her in anyway because she could still be severely constipated.
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 10:42 AM on May. 20, 2011

• It sounds like she was just horribly backed up, I wouldn't rush to the hospital but I would definitely call her pediatrician.
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 10:43 AM on May. 20, 2011

• sounds like she had a block! that happens and you did the right thing, but i would take her to the dr so he can give her a good stool sofening to help her along so she doesn't have to deal with it happening again
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 10:43 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I'd let her sleep & just call the Pediatricians office & explain what happened & see what they recommend. They may prescribe something for the constipation or tell you what to supplement her diet with. The most important thing is that she got it all out. Let her rest.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:44 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I think you did what most mommies would've done, me for sure :) Good job :) Like some other mommas said the pedi can give her stool softener to help in case she's still blocked up, but it sounds like she got it out already :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 10:52 AM on May. 20, 2011

• thanks moms, you really helped!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:58 AM on May. 20, 2011

• mommies do WHATEVER it takes to help their babies! I would have done that too! I agree with the other moms, sounds like she had an impaction that was having a hard time coming out and was hurting her badly!

Poor baby....maybe you need to talk to the Dr about switching formulas or something, to try to help that to not happen again. Not sure...but you could ask.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:04 AM on May. 20, 2011