What do I do if I didn't take my antibiotics right?

It was prescribed twice a day and I only took it once a day and just realized it this morning! It's been 10 days! ACK! I was thinking I should just finish the antibiotics out as prescribed (which means I would be done by the weekend). Thoughts from those in the medical profession or those who have experienced with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Health

• Do you feel better? Just finish them as prescribed it's still the same dose. You just didn't have the antibiotic in your system all the time.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:50 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Finish them out, it's best
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:51 AM on May. 20, 2011

Mostly I do. They are for strep and my sore throat and fever are gone. But I still had the body aches. I asked an APN about that and she said it is normal b/c I am older. It can take over three weeks to feel better from strep.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:59 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Call your doc or pharmacist to see how to proceed...just b/c you feel better doesn't mean the bacteria is actually DEAD!! They might prescribe another course of meds. (I am a medical professional who also worked in a pharmacy for 14 years)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:01 PM on May. 20, 2011

• You should finish the antibiotic. The purpose of a certain dose for a certain number of days is to make sure all the bad bacteria are killed. If you stop taking them too soon, these bacteria build up a resistance and the next time, that antibiotic may not work. You have probably heard about staph infections that cannot be cured. That is why. Too many people are getting too many antibiotics for problems that cannot be fixed with antibiotics- but that is another question /answer .
    Rota

Answer by Rota at 3:41 PM on May. 20, 2011