Did you know some people understand the history of their faith?

Really! It's true. For instance, some people actually know about the older myths and the traditions borrowed from other faiths yet still follow Christianity!

Why would they do that, you ask? I can only answer for myself, but a lot of it has to do with understanding that early writings of the Church were able to see the Divine inspiration in the older parables. No problem. Just like I've got no issue with accepting evolutionary theory (despite how it "proves" Genesis wrong), I've got no issue seeing the truth within the Bible, even if the book isn't a literal account of human history.

Any other faithful people feel the same?

Dr.Donna

Asked by Dr.Donna at 10:51 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Religious Debate

• you mean to say i'm a xtian because I CHOSE TO BE and not because my parents or neighbor or bff is???? wow, and to think, i thought i was blindly following the cool people who like to dress up on sundays. i had no idea my brain could function outside of environmental proximity to someone else's brain.
    whoddathunkit.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:55 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Good for you.
    We are all free to believe what we wish. Did you also know that most atheists HAVE heard AND are educated about jesus and your god? Yet we remain atheists?
    Respect is a two way street.
    Just saying. I know not all christians shove jesus down people's throats, but enough of them do and ignorantly ASSUME we've never been "introduced" to jesus before.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:11 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Haha, I had no idea! You mean you can't just lump all of us Christians together in some sort of literalist, creationist, anti-intellectual, heads in the sand, willfully ignorant of other beliefs and traditions (etc) kind of box? That's news to me! ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:46 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Respect is a two way street.--

hahaha..yes, it is. imagine..all those people who have studied and reseached, yet still choose xtianity (or any other religion, for argument's sake) instead of atheism. if i could count the times i've read comments by atheists who 'studied and researched', and concluded no logical reason to believe in God (again, for sake of argument) and therefore, deemed those who still try to persuade them otherwise as 'arrogant'...lol. oh boy.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:50 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Imagine that....one can be Christian AND have a brain. One can study history...even science...and not give up their faith. Who'd a thunk it?

Oh wait...I knew that! Found that out when I chose to study religious history in college and remained Christian =)
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 12:05 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Either you beleive that the bible is TRUE... Or you beleive it isn't..

Yes- it is possible to believe the Bible to be true and not literal all at the same time-
    Please do not assume that your view of Christianity and the Bible is the only one true view because it is not-
    The beauty of religion is that it can mean so many different things to so many different people-please do not tarnish that-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:54 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Yup! Some of us HAVE challenged our faith and HAVE found answers that are logical. Some of us understand the history of the cannon of Scripture, the history of the Papacy and the unfortunate false teachings they let in. Some of us aren't intimidated by those who think Christianity is just a cheap pagan knock off. In fact, some of us are capable of thinking critically and reasoning through our faith.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:59 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I agree with SAHM and OP. I also want to point out just because we say we read the bible and did research and decided that we do not believe in god does not mean we are saying those that do are uneducated. We are just stating what process we went through to come to our conclusion. Yes I understand some will come out and say this is what I learned so you all are idiots, but if people do not come out and say it that does not make it implied.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 12:07 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I understand that Christianity is simply the continuation of the faith of the Old Testament if that is what you mean.
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 10:54 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I agree, however on the note of the theory of evolution, I do believe it - to the extent that all species change over time. We adapt and change and natural selection makes perfect sense to me. As for the historical content - I do see that other faiths have similar stories and it doesn't bother me one bit.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:55 AM on May. 20, 2011