Was I the only person that brought my son home knowing he was not going to sleep all night?

Seems like I see a lot of mom's on here absolutely shocked to find out babies don't sleep all night. I always thought that was a well known given that you would lose a TON of sleep until they were older. Maybe I am mistaken, but, I figured I would get none and had my brain wrapped around that already. Did you know...I mean I know it is a shock to your system, but, shouldn't be a total shock period.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 11:11 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• LOL the last few weeks of my pregnancy I woke up every three hours, but was able to put myself back to sleep in 30 minutes. Maybe it was my body's way of getting me ready. The late nights weren't really a big deal over here.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:13 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I knew my Son wouldn't sleep all night..that's part of babyhood!
    .MommieAJ.

Answer by .MommieAJ. at 11:13 AM on May. 20, 2011

• LoL Some people are just completely clueless...not to mention overly sensitive!
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 11:14 AM on May. 20, 2011

• You can know that and still be surprised. I read, watched programs and talked to my doctor and was still surprised over a lot of what happened when my kids were born. Also, sleep deprivation that happens when a baby is born is serious. When a parent is exhausted and near the end of their wits they probably sound mean for wanting sleep to someone who hasn't had a baby to take care in years. It really seems a bit catty to repeatedly make light of their situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Personally I knew that I wouldn't be getting a lot of sleep. But I don't think I could have possibly understood the level of exhaustion that I experienced.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:20 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Of course not. However I don't think sometimes you can be prepared for just how hard some babies can be or how it affects each person differently. My son was colic from day#3 and up 7 times a night for 8 months... plus I also had insomnia, anxiety and PPD and woke up inbetween the small amounts of time he DID sleep along with working from the time he was 2 months old. THAT is hard to deal with...and then only getting people telling you "Oh really? My baby slept all night from 6 weeks old on " it's TOUGH to handle sometimes..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:21 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Um..some of you missed the point.

I said it was hard and a shock to the body. But, you should have known baby wasn't gonna sleep. Never said you weren't gonna want it and try everything in the book to get it. Never said it wasn't miserable and wouldn't take all you had not to break down from it. Regardless...babies don't always sleep and that should not be the part that is the shocker.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 11:23 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I don't think any of us "missed the point" we pretty must all said YES, we knew babies didn't sleep the day you brought them home, we were just surprised at just how hard it was - Not sure what type of answer you were looking for if you think these answers missed the point..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:41 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I was shocked when he actually DID sleep lol
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 12:04 PM on May. 20, 2011

• It's one of those things they try to make sure women DON'T know... many would refuse to reproduce EVER if they truly understood all that the Mom Gig means... and if they truly understood that everything Madison Avenue tells us about motherhood is an outright lie. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 1:23 PM on May. 20, 2011