Ok so i want a good chicken salad recipe that isn't "just food"

my best friend and i went running the other day, we took a break after about 2 miles for lunch. we went to subway and had the new orchard chicken salad, the one with the apples and cranberries. our sandwiches were so blah. it really was "just food" not good or bad, just food. well i want some actual good chicken salad. a few side notes, i don't like a lot of mayo. in fact i don't really like mayo at all, only in tuna and a very little bit. and no fruit. i don't want sweet chicken salad

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Food & Drink

• My secrets for great chicken salad are:

Always cook the chicken with the bones in. Better flavor and texture. Cool the chiccken completely before removing from the bones and cubing it.

Dry mustard. It gives a kick without overwhelming the melange of flavors.

Chopped green onions. Provides a freshness that white or yellow onions lack.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:23 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I always add a little curry powder
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 11:29 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I use canned chicken breast, or fresh, depending on what I have at the time.
    I use a small amount of sage, seasoned salt, celery, dry mustard, sometimes dill, dash of salt and pepper, finely chopped onion, sometimes I use bacon bits as well, a little bit of mayo, but I add mustard as well.

A fun twist is adding curry powder and raisins, on a crossiant, but I know you said you didn't like sweet!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:31 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I don't eat mayo or mustard, so my version is chunked chicken with finely chopped baby spinach, chopped nuts (whatever I have, but walnuts or pecans taste best to me), chopped banana peppers, chopped roasted red peppers, a little black pepper and minced garlic, all tossed lightly in italian dressing. Not by any means traditional, but it works for me.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 11:56 AM on May. 20, 2011