Tampons post birth

I didn't think to ask me dr if I could use tampons during my first period after birth. It's been 3 months since I gave birth and I've had sex and that's been fine but I wasn't sure if any other moms have used tampons their first period after delivering.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Health

• I'm pretty sure that after 6 weeks post partum, you can use them. I'd say after 3 months, you're definitely safe. You can always call your doc tomorrow, just to be sure. When I worked in an OB office, I do remember getting calls about that and telling new mom's that it was ok to use tampons after 6 weeks.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I agree, I think once you go to you doc for your 6-8 week check up and you are cleared for sex, you that means you are cleared for tampons as well. But I agree with CookieMom108, you could wait and call tomorrow just to be sure.
    Anonymous

• I was told the second post pardum period you can start using tampons. but im sure if you're cleared for sex it's all good. =]
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Once you are past that 6 week time frame after birth, you should be fine to use tampons again. Especially if you've been given the OK to have sex. They just don't want you to do it before hand because of the risk of infection if your uterus hasn't healed completely.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 3:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2008