Anyone ever inherit a house..... (little long)

I inherited a house; it first belonged to my grandparents, then my father. My father never updated or changed anything so it's very 70's. I've already planned how to reno. the bedrooms and bathroom, but I'm so stuck on the living room. Everytime I look at it all I can see is the way my Grandmother had it (white walls, dark wood trim, carpet, antique furniture everywhere you look). We have decided on the flooring (wood) but when I try to think of putting color on the walls, it just seems wrong. How can I get past the image of the past and make the space feel like mine?

Kimedbs

Asked by Kimedbs at 11:33 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Maybe start by adding color with curtains and pillows and stuff first, then consider the walls once it feels like "home".

That said, I don't think grandma is looking down on you thinking "don't you paint my walls". LOL People expect your home to become your home.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:33 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I wish, congrats..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:34 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Spend a lot of time in the paint aisle with a sample of your flooring. Put it against paint colors until one really speaks to you. Have fun!
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 11:40 AM on May. 20, 2011

• it's yours. if you don't want color on the walls than don't put any on. maybe after you live in it for a time and it starts to feel more yours than than grams then you will feel comfortable.
    ibebreezy

Answer by ibebreezy at 11:41 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I would start small, like with beige or a light green. Then go from there. Good luck and congrats!!
    kgsharber

Answer by kgsharber at 11:44 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I'm with kgsharber, start small...go with a neutral color, you can't go wrong with that at all. then you can dress it up with pictures and other decor that has splashes of color. Paint is the cheapest way to dress up or change a room...so in a couple of years, after you are more comfortable, you can paint again if you haven't already fallen in love with what you've already done. another great idea is to buy paint colors by the quart and paint a square on the wall and live with it for a few days and see if you still like it...this might help in the transition to making it your home. My background is Interior Design so please feel free to ask any questions, i'm more than happy to help you out any way I can
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 12:32 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I have never inhareted a house but that would be super. Dont think of it as painting over what your grandmother had, I had the issue with painting over the gaudy pink wall in the living room my poppop painted(we live with my grandmother) as much as I was ready to change it It killed me. You just have to think that its just an update and your grandmother would have liked it. maybe pay tribute to her by putting a picutre of her up in the house so shes represented still.
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 12:59 PM on May. 20, 2011

• It will feel more like yours when you've done some renovation.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:45 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Get some samples and paint some swatches on the wall and see what you like, then go from there.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 11:09 PM on May. 20, 2011

• If you feel weird about erasing the memory about it, perhaps you should photograpg it for posterity's sake and frame the photo or something.

I think once you do something like paint swatches on the walls, or take the furniture out, you should be able to get a clearer picture of how it will look while different.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:29 PM on May. 21, 2011