my 3 week old has not had a bowel movement since yesterday morning. What are some things that are safe to try to make him use the bathroom?

infant constipation

babyfever07

Asked by babyfever07 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Health

• I would call the pediatrician and ask. I know they say giving them water sometimes help but at that age I dont think theres alot you can give them. When mine were little Id take their temp anally and that usually stimulated them if you use vaseline at the tip.

Answer by gemgem at 12:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• its alright if the baby dosnt go to the bathroom everyday their body is getting used to the new food if they dont go by the middle of the third day try movin their feet in a bicycle motion or make them do squats kinda that should work
    flgatorchick15

Answer by flgatorchick15 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Do the bicycle with his legs. It helps them poop and they love it.
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 12:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My doc said unless its bothering them its normal to not have a bowel movement everyday.....
    sunshine21pa

Answer by sunshine21pa at 12:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• well i had one doc tell me that it was normal for a breast fed baby not to have a bowel movement for 3 weeks.. while that seemed a little extreme, it is normal for a baby to not have one everyday. if my daughter seems to be having a hard time, i just push her knees into her belly in a bicycle motion and that always helps. There's not really much you can do at 3 weeks.. maybe a little water?
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 12:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Noah had issues like that and he told me not to worry until it was the 3rd day. I would call your doc and see what they say. Don't worry just yet. If he is happy then I really wouldn't worry yet.
    hgochenour

Answer by hgochenour at 12:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Is he breastfed? If so, he can go up to 10 days without a problem. My son used to poop once a week.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Yeah, babies that are breastfed will go a long time without a bm a few weeks after being born. It's perfectly normal.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:38 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My pediatrician had me use glycerine suppositories for my son to help him poop. He said to use it if he hadn't pooped in 3 days.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Breast fed babies can go quite a few days with out a BM. Their body is absorbing all the nutrients and is not getting rid of them so to speak. But when he does have one he might strain a little bit, in that case you can bicycle motion his legs, bringing them high to his chest. And rub his lower belly in small circle motions. Good Luck!
    kaitlynsmommy31

Answer by kaitlynsmommy31 at 3:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2008