How does your family budget "fun" or "mad" money?

My husband's friends were teasing him b/c he only gets $20/week to spend on whatever miscellaneous junk he wants too. If he wants to buy lunch at work all week, that $ is for that, if I want a magazine or starbucks, it comes out of my $20.

We have been doing it for years like that, How does everyone else handle the extras that you might want?

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 11:40 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• our budget is the same way, after bills and other necessities we're each only left with about $20 for the week. it is what it is!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:42 AM on May. 20, 2011

• We just buy what we want, we HAVE to talk about it first but if there is something that one of us wants we sit and talk about it and if we both agree that its alright we get it. Most of our "fun" money is spent on kids clothes and toys lol
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:41 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I usually tell my dh what I want and since I do the budgeting and paying of all bills I know when we will have the extra. 9 times out of 10 he tells me to go for it, get what I want, why ask? stuff like that. And same thing with him. He might want something and ask me when I think the money will be there for it. Normally we have around $75 a week between us for extra money.

Answer by gemgem at 11:47 AM on May. 20, 2011

• We do the same thing, except my husband only gets $10/week and I get $5. There isn't much we do with our fun money. He might buy a soda or go out to lunch once a week and I might stop to get an Icee at Burger King. But my husband gets teased sometimes too because he has to 'ask' me to do extra stuff. He and I make the budget and have an agreement that anything that isn't budgeted for needs to be discussed. Like a charity golf tournament he is playing this weekend. His buddies gave him a hard time about 'asking' me about it, but it wasn't like he was asking permission to hang out with his friends. He wanted me to look at the budget to see if there was $100 to pay for it. We normally don't just have $100 lying in the bank without a purpose. He lucked out this time, lol.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:52 AM on May. 20, 2011

• We usually make sure we have "enough" cash on hand (like $25) to get through the misc expenses a week, and if we go beyond that, we use the credit card, which we pay off every month. We figure if we are going to spend more than the $25 on something, we might as well get the rewards for it! LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:29 PM on May. 20, 2011

• we pretty much buy what we want and need based on what we can afford.
    joinTStoday

Answer by joinTStoday at 1:11 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Yep! We call it entertainment money- and it's money for the family, not for the individual.

Go ahead and laugh. We're debt free and on our way to paying cash for our first home.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:31 PM on May. 20, 2011