If I were to take a couple children?

into my home to watch during the day to make some extra cash what would I have to do to start this and are the things that I have to follow so I don't get into trouble. I live in Michigan.   Thanks

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 11:49 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• look into day care laws for your state.. they will tell you legally how many you can "babysit" verses if you'll need a license to day care for that many children, etc. I believe in MY state (NY), you can watch up to two kids that aren't your own for pay, afterwhich you need a license as a day care caregiver.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:31 PM on May. 20, 2011

• If you are just watching a few like friends kids or something, i'd do nothing at all. Depending on your state, there is usually a lot you have to do, to be considered a "day care" and if you fail that then decide to do it you can get in trouble.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 11:52 AM on May. 20, 2011

• In Michigan for example a woman got in HUGE trouble for watching the children of her various neighbors for less than 20 mins in the morning while they were waiting for the bus. She was not even getting paid...
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 11:54 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I think that if it is for one family, the rules are different. I am from Michigan and I did a home daycare with my sister, and we had to go to the full licensing process. It was not that expensive or difficult, but there were a lot of steps and it was a bit time consuming. That said, at the end of it all, once licensed we were able to participate in reimbursement programs that the state offers for healthy foods, write off our expenses on our taxes, watch children from mothers who receive state assistance, and of course, the ladies we sat for were able to write off the child care expenses on their taxes which would be a problem in your case since if you don't claim it on your taxes and they claim that they paid it, it would lead to trouble.

The steps we had to go through were: inspection of furnace and water heater, the lady coming to check for space indoors and outdoors, one of us had to be CPR and First Aid certified (cont)
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:23 PM on May. 20, 2011

• fingerprinting, check of written policies regarding discipline, pay, and hours, and answering questions about how we would keep track of payment, medical records, parent information, etc.

You can download the full packet and instructions on michigan.gov and it will walk you through the entire process of becoming licensed if that is the route you go through, and might be able to give you some additional information about when licensing is and is not required.

Good luck!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:25 PM on May. 20, 2011

• To protect yourself you should check with the laws for home daycare in your state.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:09 PM on May. 20, 2011

• yes..check your state laws.
    joinTStoday

Answer by joinTStoday at 1:10 PM on May. 20, 2011

• your best bet is to check your state laws...CYA!!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 4:23 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Depends - how are you planning on obtaining these children?
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 11:53 AM on May. 20, 2011