Ok so we just completed this experiment and now i'm really wondering....wtf are mcdonalds fries made of??

3 months. we got an order of fries from mcdonalds and we fried some cut up potatoes and just left them out. the cut up fries were done within less than a week, molding and decaying. the mcdonalds fries, after 3 months they looked exactly the same as when we bought them. no mold, no decay, nothing. and it made me stop to think, you know how you can lose fries in the seat of your car and find them months later, not molding. it's not preservatives. preservatives will make food last longer, but it will still begin to break down. you buy bread in the store. preservatives make it last a few weeks rather than a few days. the only explanation i can think of is that they're not made from real potato. i always knew that the meat from their burgers was 80% edible cardboard, same as taco bell beef, maybe they use the same cardboard for their fries. that's just creepy and disgusting

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Food & Drink

• ewww!!!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 12:03 PM on May. 20, 2011

• they are mummified in salt. Therefore preserved. think about salted/dried fish. Same concept.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:04 PM on May. 20, 2011

• elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 12:07 PM on May. 20, 2011

• um. elizabiza that was over a decade ago. i remember that lawsuit, i believe everyone who was alive at that time remembers that lawsuit. they haven't been doing that for over 10 years
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:09 PM on May. 20, 2011

• eye rolling

Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 12:12 PM on May. 20, 2011

• they're made up of all kinds of goodness..although sometimes too salty for my taste. i mean, if you're gonna eat fresh hot french fries, McD's is the best.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:15 PM on May. 20, 2011

• You can do the same thing with their burgers. I a dietician who had kept a happy meal for 2 years and it still looked edible. The cheeseburger was rock hard, but no mold and no smell.

I can't imagine the amount of perservatives they must use to keep the meat from rotting.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:15 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I posted an answer, surprised it didn't show up.

The side of the box they come in says only this:

"PURE VEGETABLE OIL"

Does that answer your question? LOL
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:18 PM on May. 20, 2011

• oops my bad
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:19 PM on May. 20, 2011

• That sounds like they would taste horrible. I still love their fries
    myfamilymylife1

Answer by myfamilymylife1 at 6:33 PM on May. 20, 2011