What is baby aspirin for, if they're still selling it and aspirin is contraindicated in children?

I was at someone's house (who had no children of their own) when my 2 yr old developed a sudden fever. She offered me baby aspirin, but I had children's tylenol (acetominophen) with me.
I didn't look at the bottle, but, what is she talking about? They don't still market aspirin to children, do they? Because the FDA recommends no one under 19 is given aspirin due to Reye's Syndrome.

Kersten

Asked by Kersten at 12:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Health

• Adults take it daily for their heart.
    I keep aspirin on hand for my dogs.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• yet you are ok with giving tylenol?
    Anonymous

• Its recommended for adults to prevent heart attacks.
    http://www.bayeraspirin.com/products/ar/ar_cc.htm

Answer by gemgem at 12:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• it is actually called baby asprin and they are prescribed to adults with heart conditions to help keep their blood from clotting.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• baby aspirin, like everyone else has said, can help prevent cholesterol build up in the arteries. The only time it's bad is if you take it ALL the time, and it can cause ulcers.

Tylenol is actually worse, it's known to deterierate (sp) the stomach lining ten times faster than plain aspirin. And it can cause bleeding in the brain if taken too much.

This is what i get for going to school to be a nurse, ha.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 12:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• my husband takes one 81mg 'baby' aspirin everyday to prevent blood clots, as other have said it is also tasken for heart health
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• tylenol isnt as bad, but its still bad.
    Anonymous

• Glad I don't give my kids meds unless absolutely needed, ugh!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• The only risk for Reyes is if you take aspirin when you have chicken pox. It isn't recommend because it can cause problems if taken before pox symtoms develop. I'm surprised anyone still gives it to their child, but it isn't going to hurt them.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 3:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2008