Styling Layered Hair

I have shoulder-length layered hair that is rather thick and frizzy. I hate it! I only wash my hair every other day due to the frizz and need for heat styling, which takes forever. On day 1, after washing, blow drying, and flat ironing, it is a frizzy, flyaway, tangled mess. On day 2, the top is plastered to my head, and the bottom is one huge flip, which I hate. Any ideas on how to better style it? I'm tempted to just get it cut into a bob that will hang straight or curl under. Thanks!

LaurLaur623

Asked by LaurLaur623 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• I straighten my hair at night, and it stays pretty the next day, lol. i have super thick hair too. that's the only thing that helps.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I'm with you here. I have this very unruly hair. I have to wash it most everyday and straighten it with my CHI. It's the only way it will straighten.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I have a layered shouldrer-length cut. Since my hair is somewhat curly naturally, if I don't blow dry it stick straight, it will frizz.. I also use a straightener, used to have a CHI but I am currently without one :o( Hopefully Santa brings me another.
    Anyway, try using straightening shampoo & conditioner like Sleek and Shine by Garnier or Straighten Up by Sunsilk. And also use an anti-frizz styling cream before blow drying and dab a bit on after, too. V05 makes a good one. Also, I only wash my hair every couple of day and it tends to frizz less than if I wash and blow dry every day.
    Hope this helps somewhat! I used to live in Louisiana where the humidity was horrible and I rarely had a good hair day.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Try the Dove shampoo and conditioneres for dry hair. They work great to smooth out my hair - I straighten every day or so. Make sure to use a product in your hair before you apply any kind of heat. And you can use a serum after, like Super Skinny, to keep the fly away's at bay. Go easy on hairspray - the alchohol in it will make your hair drier.
    Anonymous

• I have layered curly frizzy hair...here's what worked for me.

I STOPPED styling it. I wash my hair with a moisturizing shampoo, follow with a moisturizing conditioner, towel dry and put in a leave-in de-frizzing creme, then a mousse for curly hair. I scrunch it and I'm DONE. I leave it to dry in its own, scrunch a bit here and there as it's drying. It's dry by the time I am dressed, then I finger-cobe from under and go.

My hair looks better than it EVER did when I spent ages trying to straighten out a bob. And it takes pretty much no effort on my part.

I just use drugstore lines; currently Suave Coconut shampoo, Herbal Essences de-frizzing creme (orange bottle) and Tresemme mousse. But I've used others too....I tend to buy by price.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:35 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Your hair sounds just like mine. I use Paul Michell Skinny serum first and after blowdrying, I flat iron but I clip the upper layers up first and flat iron the bottom layers then do the top ones. I also bend it slightly down while I am ironing and usually pass it about 2-3 times on each piece. ALso make sure your iron is really hot, I turn min eon as soon as I get in the bathroom to shower so in about 30 min after drying my hair its ready. And if you can afford it, CHI Irons are really good. They are about $150 but an iron our will last you about 2 days.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 7:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2008