When your baby was born

did you take your newborn out with you to like the grocery store and church or did you wait a few weeks before doing that? And if you generally stayed home, was it because of germs or another reason?

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 1:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I took her shopping with me when necessary, but kept a blanket over the carrier. Yes it was b/c of germs. Babies immune systems are so fragile at birth. Church was out of the question for us for 8 wks. hope this helps.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I won't be taking her out #1, germs. #2 it will be smack dab in the middle of winter. And you're not going to want to be going out right after having a baby.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I took my babies out with me within days of birth because I was on my own and I had a toddler and we had to have things. I kept a blanket over them because I was not interested in people's opinions.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:11 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• We did not really take our son out for the first few weeks. Mainly because it was the middle of winter and also because of the germs. A lot of people were sick and I was not ready to deal with sickness.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 1:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My babies went with me whenever I needed to go somewhere. Like the grocery store, doctors office, and babiesrus if I needed supplies. Normally though they didnt go to church or other places for outings until they were atleast 2 months old. My reason? I didnt want them exposed to germs, or getting too hot or too cold. I wanted them in an enviroment they were comfortable in.

Answer by gemgem at 1:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I sure did, no regrets! I didn't have strangers touching my baby the way others seem to, maybe people just know better here. I wiped off the handles of the grocery cart and kept my hand sanitizer accessible. I think we first took him to church when he was a month old. We didn't stay away because of germs, though, but because we were tired and I didn't want to breastfeed in church!

If you do go out to do something, make sure it's because you have good reason to, not just because you want to show off your baby. Base your decisions on necessity (and weather!), not on what you think will be "fun". Either way, don't be scared, outings with baby can be SO much better than trips made alone!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I took him out and about right away. I don't have a fear of germs.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 1:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I think my son was about 2 weeks old and we went to a graduation. My hubby had a neice and nephew graduating and they had a family gathering at the park. My son was completely wrapped up in a blanket with a little cap on his head and he slept the whole time. He did get passed around to most of the family who wanted to see him. We were only there for a few hours before going home and he was ok, he didn't get sick.
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 1:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I went out. My baby went to the outpatient part of the hospital twice for bili tests and after those germs, I figured just a trip to the store wouldn't be a big deal either.
    Anonymous

• my son was born on thursday at 3 in the monring and not that sunday but the following we had him at church =D if you breast feed they are not likely to get sick
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2008