Is a hysterectomy right for me?

I know it's my decision in the long run, but I was wondering if anyone else had an experience like mine. I always had very mild periods, they didn't bother me really. Would have some moodiness, but no real cramps or anything. However, after my daughter was born, (child number 4), when my periods started coming back they were a bit uncomfortable. This turned into severe pain after a couple of months, to where only vicoden helps and that's only for a little while. My doctor said a hysterectomy would take care of this, since I wouldn't have any more periods, but I'm only 27. We are done with our family, my husband had a vascetomy this past year even. Also I was wondering what things I may face later. I'm kind of scared about this.

adove01

Asked by adove01 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Health

• since your hubby is taken care of you have no reason not to
    Anonymous

• Do it. If it's going to make you better, by all means do it! The only thing bad about it that I have heard is that it puts you into early menopause. You will adjust to the hormone fluctuation eventually. You will have to be put on medications for that. But, overall, it will be for the best.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• There are pros and cons. My friend had one and she was always having cold or hot spells. You also have to take hormones and things like that. It really depends how extreme your pain is. If its livable then you dont have one, if you cant then you exchange the pain for other issues.

Answer by gemgem at 1:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Check out every option. Check out what's going on that's causing this change for you. Like you, I had "nice" periods. Then a few years after my daughter was born, mine got horrible. Couldn't leave the house. After 4 years in pain, I had a supra-cervical hysterectomy. I have my cervix, tubes, ovaries. Only got rid of the uterus. I had a bi-cornuit uterus (2 tops), and it was loaded with polyps (the heavy bleeding) as well as a fibroid (the painful cramping). I am not in menopause and have never taken hormone replacement...obviously never needed them, I have my ovaries. No negative side-effects.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• If they are only taking your Uterus and cervix, get a vaginal hysto so you have a very short recovery time and very little risk to yourself for secondary infections and you dont get your tummy cut so no ugly scars.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:23 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• A hysterectomy is major surgery...I would get a second opinion before doing anything.

Depending on what they take, it can be like gong through menopause, so do look into the health issues that can crop up with menopause. Notably osteoporosis. It's preventable, fortunately.

My mom had a full hysterectomy in her early 40s and was on HRT for years.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• ABSOLUTELY NOT!! You are way too young to even consider that. There are sooooo many things you can try before you get to the point of removing a major organ like that. The probability that you will have other complications afterwords is high. Do you really want to deal with menopause symtoms at age 30? Have you considered your hormone levels may be off? If you have estrogen dominance simply taking progesterone and changing your diet will help. It sounds too simple, right? I highly recommend finding a naturopathic doctor or a doctor who will do saliva hormone testing for you and will help you save your uterus. There is a way to relieve yourself of pain without cutting out a perfectly good body part.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 2:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I can't recommend a hystorectomy at your age and I can't believe your doctor would either. I would certainly get a second opinion.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 3:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• get a 2nd and 3rd opinion. sometimes drs just take an easy way out. check out hormone and dietary solutions b/f something so radical.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Some hysterectomies are unnecessary. That's not to say your is or isn't. I had a close friend whose gyno told her she needed to have one. She got a second opinion, and found out that she didn't need one after all. Hysterectomy are the #1 surgery and #2 would be c-sections. My husband's best friends' wife had one. Of course guys talk, he usually says that she doesn't have much feeling down there when they have intercourse. I would get a second opinion, see if there are any other choices. I don't if you are getting a full hysterectomy. My mother in law was going to have some type of surgery done because she was having bladder prolapse. She had a hysterectomy when she was younger.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 8:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2008