I find it so hard financially around Christmas time... any suggestions on how to strech a buck?

I have two kids and a ton of bills plus i come from a huge family and so does my husband its so hard to buy gifts and be ok.

RikkiLou

Asked by RikkiLou at 1:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Money & Work

• We have 5 kids and I let it be known to all the adults in our family we would not be purchasing gifts for them. We also said it was fine if they didnt buy for us because we couldnt afford it. We only buy for the kids.

Answer by gemgem at 1:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My husband and I are both 1 of 5 (in blended families) We have gift rules in our family. First once you have kids your siblings don't purchase gifts for you, just your kids. You only purchase for your siblings kids, nothing for them. All gifts are to be under $25.00 (you can make it less). My husband and I do stockings for each other because we'd rather do a family vacation later then run up credit card bills now. And a new rule - I love this one. All nieces and nephews are required to come to the family Christmas party or their gifts are returned (some exceptions of course). If you can't show up to get your gifts and let us see you, you better be in the basic training! lOl
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 1:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• you should draw one name and set a 25-50 dollar limit for presents that way you don't have to buy for EVERYONE in the HUGE family. thats what me and my hubby does now with our familys we went from last year spending a couple hundred on our familys alone to about 100 =D its really a smart way to do it
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:47 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• In my family of origin we have 8 siblings, spouses and then 32 neices/nephews. At Thanksgiving each person picks one name out of the bucket. The "big" parents.....my mother, grandparents, etc.....we either do a group gift, something really great, or we can do what we want, and there's no limit.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• No GIFTS! Put your foot down. Take your children to the grocery store and let them pick out stuff they like to eat. Spend your money on food. If you can buy gifts, buy for your own children and don't worry about anyone else. You have to be the one to stand up to your family and say no more gifts, trust me. My parents each come from a large family and sometimes we spend so much money on the families that my own children didn't get what they really wanted. Thats not the way it should be. You do what you have to do.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 2:01 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• i love how people use this site for advertising
    Anonymous

• avonmom, what's your site address? That's a great idea. I think I'll do that for my sisters who don't have kids.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 2:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• ooops, sorry. should have read the entire posting. lol
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 3:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I think you are better off doing the pull a name out of bucket idea than anything else...because if you cant afford much and you get really cheap tacky stocking fillers people will only end up chucking it out and it will be a waste of money..but if you are just having to buy for one person you can get them something catered to their needs and it will go down better. its also less hassle buying for one person.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:53 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• on my dad's side of the family, we buy a gift for ourselves, take a photo of it and then stick it in a christams card and give them to each other haha. We say for example: Dear aunt Chris, this year for Christmas you bought me new kitchen towls "insert photo here" :) It's always really funny to see what people photograph! It's a family of pranksters so sometimes it's things like...dirty socks, or a bucket of rocks haha. One year my parents bought themselves a new car right before Christams and they took a photo of that to put in the cards. Then they bragged that everyone in the family must like them the best. haha, it was hilarious! We still buy gifts for the kids though :)

On my mom's side we draw names adn each person buys one gift for one person. We have a $20 price limit as well. My mom's family is HUGE and when we all get together there are 45 people! so even each person opening one gift takes all night haha.
    mum2gr8byz

Answer by mum2gr8byz at 4:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2008