Please explain to me how a differing belief, or a counter claim in some way affects your ability to believe.

No one can force you to change your beliefs. How, oh how does a countering statement (regardless of how inflammatory), change your ability to believe what you do?

I read this "wow I can see you are just trying to make someone angry.. well it won't work.. let us believe what we want to..." in another thread and can not help but ask the question- do all of you feel this way?
Do you feel that your ability to believe is diminished when someone makes a counter claim?

Why would you *ever* ask for permission to believe something?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 1:25 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm pretty sure she wasnt asking permission, more of a statement to leave her beliefs alone. Why question what others believe. Sure if you want to know more, ask, however most of the time, they are just trying to prove their faith wrong. When will people learn tolerance?!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:28 PM on May. 20, 2011

• no I don't feel that way... I'm not offended or shaken by other people's beliefs
    even if someone is purposefully trying to be offensive I don't let it bother me
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:28 PM on May. 20, 2011

• they arent going to change their beliefs, no one will inside, however you can try to change the ability to practice it.. (such as laws in some countries where you have to only practice such and such religion.
    i believe the comment is about asking for their equality to their believes, basically they are asking for someone to respect that they have their believes and not to try to take them from them
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:34 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I'm always astounded at how some people (not even particularly here on CM) seem to think that if a differing belief exists out there, it somehow threatens or diminishes their own. They feel the need to prove the other person is mistaken or wrong. Why not just call it a draw and walk away?
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 1:37 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I'm hoping these statements aren't being separated from other discussions and being use out of context for the sake of arguing.... Sometime we take things too literal. I have a feeling the peron was not asking permission .
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:40 PM on May. 20, 2011

----------

Wonderfully said Musicmom80. It would be terrible if that were to happen =)
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 1:44 PM on May. 20, 2011

• can of worms

Just to play Devil's advocate the same can be said to non-christians when we are told we're going to hell for not believing the same as some Christians. It doesn't negate our beliefs or the ability to believe as we do yet we become just as "offeneded" or annoyed at it being stated because we see them as just trying to make us angry.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:05 PM on May. 20, 2011

• apparently questioning/challenging what others believe or stating your own opinions on how you believe and those beliefs being different, is very threatening and "offensive"
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:07 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I'm hoping these statements aren't being separated from other discussions and being use out of context for the sake of arguing....---

oh snap. you know that would never happen around here, silly musicmom.
    my beliefs are solid..nothing OP or anyone of her ilk say will sway them. but its fun to play games, isn't it?? sahm's do get bored...
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:14 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Sometimes people believe, but their beliefs are based on a formula: do A then B, and C will result. When that formula is questioned, it threatens there belief becuase the FORMULA is all they have/know. Faith takes thought, action, belief and DOUBT...doubt forces us to thinki thru what we believe and why...it makes it SOLID and then when we assess what we believe, it is seen to be much more than formula---

when we only have the formula without a personal foundation, we become angry and fearful when the formula is questioned.

I have had to abandon formula and find real faith: which for me, is being led by my intuition and God, trusting THAT, not the formula. I welcome questions because My God is HUGE and not threatened by it....and I know what I beleive and why, so I am not threatened by looking closesly at it-it bears up under scrutiny because it is REAL!
    ferrellmt

Answer by ferrellmt at 2:14 PM on May. 20, 2011