For HSMs. Do you get tired of people asking you the same question?

How do Home schooling moms deal with questions such as "Does your child go to school"?

Do you keep your children at home during school hours to avoid people (eg librarian) questioning your lifestyle????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I don't home school. For what it's worth, our local library actually has a book club designed for home school students. It meets during school hours. Our park system does stuff designed for home schooling families too. I don't expect many parents that are HSing get questioned in those venues because those venues recognize and design programs for such families.

Do people really ask? If they did, I think the best answer is "Yes, we home school." :) Then again, I don't personally see HS / School as exclusive things. My kids attend public school but education doesn't end at the classroom door. We learn at home through various experiences and hands-on activities. DH and I, and now our children, value learning enough to know that there's a gem of knowledge to be gleaned from nearly anything and we enjoy finding them.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:25 PM on May. 20, 2011

• They don't get that around here. Both of my SILs homeschool, but with so many kids here in year round school now you never know if a child is homeschooled or just tracked out. Not a big deal.

Answer by missanc at 1:43 PM on May. 20, 2011

• HSM 's ?????
    LOL...there is no end to the abbreviations here.
    WHy not just spell it out?
    Gawwwwwwd.
    I hope you know HOW to spell the words since you ARE home schooling...right?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:08 PM on May. 20, 2011

• See....you ask if they keep their kids at home to avoid questions....THAT is why Moms home school...hide them and avoid questions from educators? Wow.And avoid reaity....only teach them what YOU want them to know? And probably make them feel isoltated and only associate with other home-schooled kids? How unreal. @@
    Anonymous