Do BF babies have better sleep than FF babies?

For some reason breastfed babies sleep better through the night than formula-fed babies. Do think that this is a fact or just pure coincidence?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• formula is more filling, maybe he takes the formula better than breastmilk. You have to becareful of waht you eat if you bf, b/c it reflects on your baby. My son sleeps fine when bf and my friend's baby used formula till now he's 8 months still not sleeping thru the night
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 2:01 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Every baby is different. Both of my babies were exclusively breastfed. One was a horrible sleeper and one was a great sleeper.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:57 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I am with the last poster I think that it depends on the child. I had two little ones that were EBF and one the was FF. The FF slept through the night much sooner than the other two.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:58 PM on May. 20, 2011

• So no I don't think that is a fact.
    Melbornj

• its different for every baby! my dd slept all night from 2 months to 5 months and then woke every 2 hours cuz of teething! even now at 15 months she still wakes once a night!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 1:59 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I think it's coincidence, but most people think it's the other way around - that formula fed babies sleep longer/better than bf.

Answer by missanc at 2:05 PM on May. 20, 2011

• it's a crock...both of mine were ff'd and my ds slept great, my dd didn't
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:10 PM on May. 20, 2011

• probably a coincidence. I know lots of mamas who breastfeed and their kiddo is still waking up several times a night to nurse (at like 8 and 10 months old)
    I thing that the formula digests more slowly and can keep the baby full longer.
    But really it totally depends on the baby I think. My girlie has been a good sleeper from the get go and I EBF until she was 3 months old and then started supplementing with formula (long story).
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:36 PM on May. 20, 2011