Did you decide to get your baby tested for downs syndrome ? why or why not ?

i just made my appt to get my baby tested for down syndrome and other birth defects , now im nervous and considering canceling my appt. i heard that sometimes it will tell you there's a chance of the baby having it and it doesn't . idk if i should do it or not and just wanted some opinions .

mommy2b_2011

Asked by mommy2b_2011 at 1:56 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i had the blood test with my 2nd just b/c my ob reccomended it, wouldn't have mattered either way i wouldn't have killed him, just would have prepared myself for a special needs child, thank God he didn't have anything wrong with him :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:57 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I did have the test with all 5. I did it knowing it would not change the love I already had for my child. I did it knowing I was doing it in part for my child. If my child had down syndrome or any other defect then it would be better for me to know asap so I could prepare and do research.

Answer by gemgem at 1:58 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I decided not too.

2 reasons.

1. It is not a straight yes or no test. It is a X% of X% that they will have it. There is also a high false fail rate.

2. I was having the baby regardless if it had DS or not so why be worried thru the whole pregnancy for nothing if it didn't have it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:58 PM on May. 20, 2011

• i had those tests done and I REGRET IT!~! that was the worst few weeks of my life!!!!!!!!!! I cried and cried from about 16wks until 22wks when i found out 100percent she was normal! This is no way to live..i done the tests and got the results about two wks later they told me she had a high chance of having downs...then i had to wait til 22wks to get more tests dont and we found out that she was normal but they wanted to do an amnio to make extra sure..they even talked about me aborting her! Thank the GOOD LORD above that I held strong and knew in my heart she was normal..I will never ever take those tests again..its not easy going so many weeks without a clue stress and worrying..pregnancy is already and emotional rollercoaster! imo i would not recommend anyone taking them its just not worth it
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 2:01 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I would have it tested but it wouldn't change anything i would still be having the baby. it would just let you be more prepared if you child would be born with it or not.
    Vivian0331

Answer by Vivian0331 at 2:01 PM on May. 20, 2011

• No, the test is far from fool proof, we would have had her regardless, and we didn't have an factors to make us worry that she'd be Down's.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 2:02 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I decided not too - Iknow it can be wrong which would cause unneeded stress for all
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:03 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I did, not because it would have changed my decision on whether to have the child or not, but because if he/she might have had Downs it would have given me time to research and get plugged in with the special needs community.

Answer by missanc at 2:03 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I had the blood test done. Nothing would have changed my decision to have this baby but I would have been prepared. I would have started doing research on Down Syndrome and what to expect from Down Syndrome babies and children. I just wanted to be prepared, thats all
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:04 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I had the quad screen with my first pregnancy and the blood work came back with a very high possiblity of DS. I was devastated, I cried for days. We went in for an in depth ultrasound and turnd out everything was fine. I just recently did the test again for my second and everything came back normal. Even with the "scare" the first time, I still needed to be prepared if there was something going on. SIL has DS, so we definitely wanted to do all that we could to prepare for baby if we needed to.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 2:07 PM on May. 20, 2011