do you donate or throw away perfectly good items

such as clothes, toys, household items?
It floors me when I hear about people throwing away gently used clothes and toys because the don't have enough sense to realise there are people out there that would love to have that very stuff they are throwing away, not to mention the overflowing landfills.
If you donate where are you most likely to donate to?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 2:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I have a system. If I go 1 year, every season, without ever wearing an item, out it goes. Donate. I usually toss it into those boxes (Salvation Army, etc). However, a tenant recently moved out and left 5 bags of kids clothes. In this economy I couldn't see giving to a place that would only turn around and sell them. I brought them to the Senior Center who was collecting for people on fuel assistance, knowing they needed things.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:04 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I usually give my little girls clothes to my dds friends if they can wear them. My boys clothes I dont usually get to do anything but toss out because they are rough on their clothes (holes, stains etc). My youngest sons clothes get put away for my grandson. Toys I dont normally donate since when my kids are done with them they are usually broken. I dont donate things to anywhere really. If someone I know cant use the things I have I might give them to the domestic violence shelter.

Answer by gemgem at 2:06 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• We donated alot of toys just last week to a local program called "HOPE". People that cannot afford gifts for their kids or winter gear or whatever call hope and sign up and they take donated things and wrap them up and make boxs for each family to go home and put under the tree. After xmas we will have no room for all my 2 year old stuff so we went through all her toys and sent a big garbage bag there.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 2:06 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• We dontate ot the red cross, Good Will and Amvets. Sometimes a local church will have a clothing or goods drive and we will donte to them as well.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• i usually ask if anyone can use whatever im getting rid of first, and if no one does I give it to goodwill.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I donate everything my clothes and my daughters clothes i don't see a point in selling them or throwing them away bc their are lots of families out there that can't afford them and you should donate 2 those who have nothing it makes you feel better about what you have done for the people
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I do like Oliviasmomma, I usually ask around first if anyone can use what I need to get rid of, and then if not I donate to the local homeless shelter.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:18 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Most of the time I sell on ebay. That way I use the money I make off their old clothes and toys to buy them new. Or even just to have the extra cash for food or gas etc.. But if I know someone thats in need, I will give to them.
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 2:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My two older sisters, my mom and I share kids clothes. Especially baby clothes, but my clothes, kids toys and stuff like that I usually donate to the Salvation Army or GoodWill.
    Anonymous

• I like to donate, just doesn't seem right to throw them away if they are still good.
    Anonymous