Who has control over your emotions?

out of curiosity, is it you or others? if someone says something and you're offended by it, is it your fault or theirs? aren't you the one in control over how you react to said offensive statement?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:58 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• any action causes a reaction...its my choice how i react to someone else's action.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:04 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Hehehehe, we just finished the chapter on emotions in psychology. Only the individual has control over their emotions and how they react to something. Of course there is debate on whether the physiological response comes before or after the emotional response or at the same time, and whether it affects our assesment of the situation or is determined by our assesment...........
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:01 PM on May. 20, 2011

• In the context of CM Religion forums, and the religious discussion in general, it seems to me that emotions are nearly as much at the heart of things as the ones people choose to project on what they read, whether they actually exist behind the words or not. There is a certain unwillingness to accept that people can have a dispassionate discussion when religion is involved.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:03 PM on May. 20, 2011

• As a whole in our Society we should be offended by anyone who degrades any group with the word "most" then how ever the worded implies ignorant, or mindless etc. The statement that started this whole thing was an ignorant statement. Then you presumed that those of us who were offended are not strong in our faith. Yes as I stated before your prejudice is showing. That or you're just a block head.
    daps

Answer by daps at 2:46 PM on May. 20, 2011

• So- do you think that bullying does not exist- is it merely people expressing their views and the other people that get upset are actually the ones to blame- that in an interesting twist and I wonder how that would work out in anti-bullying campaigns- instead of "It gets better" it could be changed to "its not them, its you"-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:19 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Daps, darlin, you should try to post as Anonymous" before hurling "insults" to have a greater effect, we all knwo you too well under your name to take offense to anything you've posted so far
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:35 PM on May. 20, 2011

• And I'm sorry, but I think it's a ridiculous cop out to imply that it should be okay to say whatever one pleases, no matter how rude it may be, just because it's someone else's issue if it offends them or not. How about a basic level of consideration for others?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:50 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Oh, I agree there is a difference. But when you're talking about *people* or religions, it's different. For example, if someone were to say that "most" Christians are ignorant and don't know how to think for themselves", then yes that is offensive, even if I'm the kind of Christian who does think for myself. Any kind of generalizing is rude. In a religious discussion we're discussing and debating the stances of religion, not the mentality of those who adhere to them. When one starts making personal remarks about people who follow a religion it *does* become offensive. We're not here to discuss someone's intellectual capabilities (still just going with my original example), so there's no reason to bring them into question, especially since it is so well known that there *are* Christians capable of deep intellectual thought. Same with Atheists and being moral/immoral, etc....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:43 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I'm supposed to be in control of my emotions, but I will admit when I get sucked in to all sorts of stressers around me........the stressers normally take over and I become the crazy one.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 2:00 PM on May. 20, 2011

• bullying actually has little to do with what was said than with what was done through actions.

Actually, verbal bullying is the most common form of bullying- actual physical harm is pretty rare compared to verbal bullying-
    What about "hate speech"- is that just free speech that some one chose to be offended by?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:26 PM on May. 20, 2011