Please no judgement ......... adult content

but me and my family had to get on public assistance last year when me and dh lost our jobs and i hate being on it but it is incredibly hard to find work where we live so i was thinking of taking 80% of our upcoming check to start a cleaning/organizing business from home so that we can generate some income and get off aid for good but im scared of putting all our money and it being a failure any suggestions on what we should do and if this idea would work????

PS.
please no judgmental comments OK times have been hard and yes we had to get on pa last year just to get by and just going out and getting another job at the drop of a hat is easier said than done!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• You are NOT alone in this ecomony!!.....AND, NOBODY had the right to pass judgement!! I dont think your plan is a bad idea.....buy maybe you should try to get clients lined up that way you can see if it would be worth while. I wish you well and hope things turn around for you!!
    joinTStoday

Answer by joinTStoday at 2:03 PM on May. 20, 2011

• No judgment here, my dh also lost his job and it took awhile for him to find another one, we had to get aid too. Anyway as to your question you need to put some feelers out and maybe put up some flyers and see if it generates any interest. I would do that first before putting any money into it. If you get some calls or people asking for estimates then you can go from there.

Answer by gemgem at 2:02 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Get some jobs lined up before you spend the money to start everything off. The first Mommy is right. Put out some flyers and see if there is any interest. Craiglist things like that and go from there.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:07 PM on May. 20, 2011

• just go for it..there is never anything wrong with wanting to better yourself..if things dont workout you wont have the what if doubt anymore you will know you tried your best
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 2:03 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I too am in the same position and I just currently started working from home. I am currently with a company that is helping me with my advertising online. I also went to vista print online and created some business cards I got 250 for free only had to pay shipping and handling I think it was like $10 or something like that. I have been printing flyers and putting them on cars at places like walmart, walgreens, the mall etc. It is working pretty good I am getting contacts and am doing o.k. it is better than nothing and I just started so I have to get it built up and working like I need.
    afreethingrep

Answer by afreethingrep at 2:07 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Do you have any leads as to jobs if you would start this up?
    Has anyone offered to pay you to do this?

Times are tough. My hubby was laid off in Nov. He's been on unemployment. We are barely barely making ends meet and putting more and more debt onto the credit card. He's going back to school, but will prob be another 6 months before he could seriously get a good job offer.

Keep your chin up!
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 2:03 PM on May. 20, 2011

• sounds great but you do have to live near a wealthy neighborhoods.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:03 PM on May. 20, 2011

• You could look at the ads on care.com. Besides childcare they also run ads for people needing housekeepers. You might see if there is a big need in your area. It's just one idea to see what the demand is in your area. Use the pulldown at the site to search the ads. (if you do not see the pulldown right away click on the logo and you should be directed to the area when you can see it)
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 2:13 PM on May. 20, 2011

• thanks u guys i really want to do it i live near the hills in the eastbay and i know they always advertise for housekeepers idk im just getting cold feet and a bad case of the "what if's" but the money they give on pa isnt enough to live off of an support a family besides that im the type of person that is going crazy sitting around collecting a check and watching others around me live the good life and i feel like if a job isnt gonna hire me than im gonna create my own job!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:32 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I wouldn't spend 80% of the only income we would have for a month to try to get a business started. Do you have a backup plan if the business fails to generate enough money to exist until the next month? I would try to get that start up money another way. I'm not sure how but I wouldn't spend our only income on chance...just me. Good luck to you either way. AND many of us had/have to be on public assistance because the economy, nothing at all to be judged for.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:35 PM on May. 20, 2011