18 month old with Anemia, few questions and a small vent

Vent-

WIC tested her blood at 12 months and the number put her as anemic, they however failed to record it in her records. At 17 months she had pneumonia and they did bloodwork that said she was anemic and failed to tell me. Her latest WIC appointment this week also said she had anemia. Her doctors appointment today, the doctor went into the hospital records and said, oh she's anemic and finally got me an iron script. Why don't they tell me these things?!

Question-

Anyone have advice or tips for anemia? I breastfed 17 months so she never had iron enriched formula. Any words are welcome.

Thanks.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:06 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Thanks that helps.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:09 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Bump! I have no idea, but thats not something I would have asked about. I would have expected people to do their job. I would suggest trying to get your child to eat spinach and iron rich foods with the supplement. Also be aware it can cause constipation. Thats the extent of my knowledge.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 2:10 PM on May. 20, 2011

• If you're on WIC ask Dr for a WIC form to fill out to put the child on pediasure and take it to WIC office so they can give you vouchers for that. It won't hurt to ask the Dr if its alright seeing as the child has a condition that needs a solution. My dd was failure to thrive so she has pediasure on her WIC vouchers. Good luck.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 2:11 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I have anemia, my 3 oldest were anemic at that age (I breastfed, so the only iron they got was after they started cereal). Their pediatrician routinely tests breastfed babies around 9 months. The additional iron should help - if she'll eat red meat that's high in iron, as are leafy greens. Many cereals and pasta also have iron added. Make sure she doesn't drink too much milk, which can lead to anemia. Taking the iron supplement or eating iron rich foods with a Vitamin C food (orange juice?) will help aid in absorption.

Answer by missanc at 2:11 PM on May. 20, 2011

• just make sure you keep a regular feeding schedule..that way her bloodsugar does not drop and make her cranky or feel like poo..me and my dd had it mine went away after she was born but her carried on i just kept little snacks or crackers handy when i knew it was about time for her to eat..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 2:12 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I think that also may have been my problem, I usually have a calcium food on the plate or milk with meals, thanks.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:13 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Most breastfed kids do OK without iron supplements. (My 3 kids were OK.) When you do supplement a breastfed child with iron, it can overwhelm the absorption system (the lactoferrin in breast milk) and contribute to anemia. Be aware that iron supplements can cause constipation and that iron absorbs better when calcium isn't give with it.

I like to have a copy of blood tests for my own records.  She'll be fine in a few weeks.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 2:14 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I will request copies in the future, thank you. She self-weaned last month so it should be ok. Constipation is no fun!
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:20 PM on May. 20, 2011

• My dd was anemic... We got her to eat chicken liver, and she eventually tested normal.

As far as "you should've asked..." Of COURSE you should have! Every parent is immediately concerned with their child's iron levels! I mean, of all the things that can go wrong with children, anemia should be topping your list, WAY above SIDS or choking, or broken bones, or even diaper rash! Anemia is SO common, everyone should ask if their child has it!

Now that my "Duh, don't be stupid" rant is over, of course you didn't ask. I didn't ask. Never even considered it! They are supposed to tell you those things. The failure is on their part, not yours. I would get a different doctor. Your baby will be okay, just try the chicken livers. You can get them at KFC. Good luck!
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 2:23 PM on May. 20, 2011