How do you make sure your child takes his/her medication?

I'm writing an article about kids who take medication for a lifelong disease - diabetes, etc - and parents and doctors teach these kids and ensure that the meds are taken properly. Also, what about allergies? How do you make sure your child says no to the foods they are allergic to? Statistically, 50% of people don't take their meds properly and 20% don't take them at all! And with the increase of childhood diseases, I am researching ways to ensure our kids are responsible for their own healthcare. You can email me at slvinton@verizon.net. I appreciate any information you can provide me. Lisa

Only2Degrees

Asked by Only2Degrees at 2:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I have two special needs kids and it was hard getting them to take their meds, and sometimes it still is. I just taught them from an early age it was like a vitamin they had to take everyday. One of my sons is also allergic to red dye and breaks out all over in a rash if he eats it. The way he learned not to sneak was by eating it and breaking out. He figured out that sucked and stopped eating it when i wasnt looking.

Answer by gemgem at 2:33 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My daughter has Hydro-nephrosis, while its not life long , the doctor said we can see improvement by the time shes 10 -12. I have her take capsules, I open it up, pour in her milk and she cant tell the diffrence.
    NiekaC

Answer by NiekaC at 7:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My son takes many meds & supplements daily & it can be tough to keep him taking them, but we've found that giving him some control over the process helps w/compliance. For example: 1) We give him choices on his meds (liquid or pill) 2) We explain to him as often as he needs to hear it why he takes them (at an age-appropriate level) 3) Some meds/supps. can be skipped for a day or two (w/dr's approval), so for those days when he's absolutely adamant about not taking his meds, we give him the choice to skip some of them 4) We let him choose his med/supp. schedule within limits; Some meds/supps. have to be taken at certain times or can't be taken with other meds/supps., but as long as we stay w/in those boundaries, he can choose when to take them.

mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I don't have experience, but my college roommate had diabietes (found out around 16.). Once at school, she stopped taking her insulin. I'd remind her from time to time, but knew I couldn't be the one to stay on top of her since it would only piss her off. She eventually got so sick she had to go home. Consuling was a big help. I think since it started to late she really didn't have time to deal with it, then had too much going on at school (in a different state so classes, home sick, etc.). It all really worked against her. She's doing better now but it's taking a while for her to accep that she needs to stay on top of her meds, etc.
    Anonymous