Why do you drive a gas Guzzling SUV???

I see so many on the road. My friend drives a Suburban, and pays $125 to fill up every week...I was just wondering why?? Can you really afford it?? Do you really need 4 wheel drive in say California, or Florida??? Just wondering...thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Money & Work

• My husband has to have an SUV for his job. Sadly we couldn't find a USED hybrid, and we simply couldn't afford to buy a brand new car. So we got a used Honda Pilot. Before that we had a much more compact car and we prefer smaller cars. However, as said...SUVs are *literally* a job requirement for his job. He wouldn't have gotten hired had he not went out and gotten an SUV
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 10:22 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Personally I've got a Ford Taurus: It's not a gas guzzler like a SUV, but it takes a LOT MORE to fill up then the Dodge NEON we also have.

The people that I know that have SUV, Suburban, etc need those cars because they need the space: they have 4 plus kids. Sometimes when people need the space they have to eat the cost that comes with it.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:29 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Safety is the first thing that comes to mind. Have you driven one? Sitting up higher than most cars allows you to see better. We are also able to tow our travel trailer. It is much more practical than a car for us. I wouldn't own 2 if I couldn't afford them.
    JulieDH

Answer by JulieDH at 10:31 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I wanted to add that it also only takes my husband $75 to fill up his tank. Mind you it's still costing us an arm and a leg because he drives so much for work that he sometimes has to fill up twice per week...but we're no where near having to pay over $100 just to fill up!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 10:35 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• mmm....I took the $125 the TOTAL cost to fill up all week, not just the cost of one trip.

Which makes sense seeing MamaPyratekk said that at times they have to fill up twice a week thus making their total cost for the week $150......

Maybe I read it wrong...but that's what i took it to mean....

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:40 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I took it as it taking that much for one tank since it said, "pays $125 to fill up every week". Most people only need to "fill up" once per week, but since my husband drives all over the place with work twice a week is (sadly) completely normal here :(
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 10:42 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I know what you mean...I don't have a suv just a car! But then again...I don't have to go out so much with me being able to work at home!
    businesswife1

Answer by businesswife1 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Well I have one because we cannot afford to get rid of it and have a new car note.
    jaysmommy08

Answer by jaysmommy08 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• We used to have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it sucked too much gas. Thankfully we were able to trade it in and get something smaller before the economy spiraled downward. Now we drive a Chrysler 300. My husband has a Dodge Neon for the "work" car.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• We have a gas guzzling pick up truck (an F-150 super crew). It seats 6 which happens to be exactly how many people are in this family, lol. It may cost $85 for a full tank but on the plus side...it runs. Which is more then I can say for my minivan which is kaput. But we still owe money on it. We're just waiting to pay it off and get rid of it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:53 AM on Jul. 11, 2008