He eats too much for my Foodstamps too last!!!

I got $457 a month in foodstamps a month...now I'm not the type of person that goes out and buys expensive steaks and shrimp and name brand food and junk...no...i still clip coupons and try to make that last now that's supposed to feed a family of 5 for a month and it would..but my SO eats like 2 1/2 servings with dinner....I get he doesnt eat much through ou the day,but dinner is the only meal I cook and it's the priciest to make..sooo I am out of my foodstamps. now I have not told him this...last month I used a wal-mart gift card I had to supplement for the rest of the month...so he assumed that amount got us through the month...he's the only one working and money is eally tight right now and he's already stressing sooo...I dont know what to do i have maybe a wks. worth of dinner food left and he doesnt eat left overs either...it's VERY frusterating...he expects nice homecooked meals when he gets home...which is fine..but we dont have the funds for that everynight..some nights we may just have to have cereal...I just dont know how to explain to him...it's his eating habits that are making 4 meals worth of chicken last for only 2...it's crazy!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• You do what I told mine. Stop being a damned selfish pig. Sure my dh was pissed but I told him I cant afford you eating and being such a glutton and not leaving food for anyone else. And if you can only do cereal one night then just dont cook. I tell mine I dont have enough meat this week so its a "make your own" night. See we have every other weekend where it is just me and him and I dont cook on those weekends. So its tuna sandwiches, ham sandwiches, or whatever.

Answer by gemgem at 2:35 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Well if he doesn't eat much during the day then it would explain why he eats like that at night. I honestly think that $457 is not that much for a family of 5, we spend that for a family of 3. My man eats absolutely nothing during the day so I have to make extras for dinner.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 2:37 PM on May. 20, 2011

• It must be FRUSTRATING. Tell him he gets one serving and that if he eats more, then he can go shopping and buy his own food. AND it is unhealthy to overeat. Is he fat? Obese? It sounds like he is eating way too much. A normal serving at dinner would be ONE chicken breast, one serving of vegetables, maybe a scoop of rice or a baked potato. ANd that should be enough . I think you need to take charge He is your SO,right? He needs to pay....its not all your expense..
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:38 PM on May. 20, 2011

• U said he doesn't eat leftovers, why is that?
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 2:39 PM on May. 20, 2011

• It's not supposed to be your ONLY source of food income. It's meant to be supplemental
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 2:41 PM on May. 20, 2011

• He is a big man...it wen tdown from $668 to that this month...I applied for cash assistance so I could get childcare right away instead of waiting 6 months so I can get a job..when I did they dropped my food stamps down and I decided I'm going back to school instead of working so I dropped the cash assistance before I got approved...so next month it will go back up...it's really not alot for a family of 5 at all...but if he would eat like a normal person I could stretch it..he works and supports us all...so I feel at the end of the day he should be able to eat till he is full...i think im going to go with the it's not healthy and I want you around approuch...hes already stressed about money as it is.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:45 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Get creative. :-) For so many years, I raised kids and survived by making meals that would go further with whatever I could find..... Instead of chicken breasts, roast, or just meat, combine it with a pasta and sauce, make soups or get creative. Always have peanut butter on hand. Feel free to add me as a friend. I have survived so much and can tell you, things will be OK. One of the biggest things is to not let the stress of managing it all take away your joy of living. These years will go fast. Chin up and stay tough. Hugs !!!
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 2:46 PM on May. 20, 2011

• cut down how much meat you use in the meal...add more pasta or rice or potatos...I may be the odd one here- but that seems like plenty of money to me for a month for 5 people- and my hubby eats like that too and so does my teenage son!
    I spend about 500 a month for the 4 of us -but that's with health and beauty stuff and paper goods included-
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:57 PM on May. 20, 2011

• he needs to eat during the day. it's not good for anyone to not eat all day and then overconsume at night that's how you GAIN weight. Great ideas charlot...more pasta less meat will stretch it. Have him drink a BIG glass of water before dinner and he will be full sooner. but eating through-out the day will make a HUGE difference!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 4:15 PM on May. 20, 2011

• ok my understandings on fs are they are supplemental income...so its not meant to cover your entire food budget for the month..also why is so not eating during the day...get up and pack him a lunch if you have to....my husband carrys a lunch to work everyday, regular meals helps with the overeating in the evening...
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 5:54 PM on May. 20, 2011