I'm such a spaz about lice.....

My daughter's teacher sent home a letter that a child in the class has lice. I told her she can wear her hair in a pony tail and that she is not to share hats or such with the kids in her class. I also told her for now that I didn't want her hugging anyone(she hugs everyone!)because they transfer from head to head contact. I do not wish to deal with lice at this time. She told her friend that she couldn't hug her because she had lice. I feel awful:(
I know that lice isn't a big deal but it is a pain to get rid of. Right now dh is sick and unable to help if there is a lice break out in our house. I have 4 kids ranging in age from 2 months to 7 years. My girls have looooong hair. I've dealt with lice in the past at daycares and in my home when I was caring for a couple of girls. I would rather not go there. But now my concerns have transfered to my dd and she hurt her friends feelings. crap!

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 2:36 PM on May. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Lice are a huge PITA, I wouldn't be worried about being a spaz, my sister used to get them all the time when we were little, she had really long hair. She got it so much my mother cut her hair really short! If you do get them, don't forget to treat the car! I think that's where my mom went wrong, and sis was getting re-infested from car upholstery. They sell a spray you can use in the car. Good luck! One of the reasons I am grateful to have a boy, I can shave his head and nobody will look twice!

dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 9:31 PM on May. 20, 2011

• LOL dont feel bad my dd DID get lice and we just found out who from. I had told her the same thing, not to share her softball helmet because thats how she got it. So she was pulling her helmet from this little girl and yelling "Dont use my helmet you have lice!!!". Oh so embarrassing. As it turned out that little girl DID have lice, but we didnt know it was her at the time.
    Some things you can do is add tea tree oil to the shampoo. At walmart they sell lice prevention shampoo already made. Use coconut shampoo and condition, lice does not like the smell. Use hairspray on her hair and keep it up.

Answer by gemgem at 2:39 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Some people recommend to put Tea Tree Oil in your shampoo because it kills and repells the lice bugs. It kind of makes shampoo smell like menthol though.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:05 PM on May. 20, 2011

• My kids hair dresser had a concoction of oils that she combines and sells and you just put it in the shampoo or conditioner and only have to use it once a week. I'm still super paranoid though!
    AmandaH321

Comment by AmandaH321 (original poster) at 4:08 PM on May. 20, 2011