1 week old daughter's umbilical cord fell off for the most part, but there's still a small amount left

Can we give her a bath yet, or should I wait for this other piece to fall off? It's not hanging or anything. I've been so anxious to see how she likes the bath. She's such a good baby for her awake time, I think she'd love it!

ours

Asked by ours at 2:42 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd wait.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:45 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I never waited but I think you are supposed to.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 2:45 PM on May. 20, 2011

• its probably ok but you can call your pediatrician to be sure
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:55 PM on May. 20, 2011

• it'll prolly going to fall off tomorrow or the next so maybe it's good to wait
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 3:16 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I am sure it will be ok
    NurseKlein

Answer by NurseKlein at 4:20 PM on May. 20, 2011

• my son's didnt fall off until he was over 2 weeks old. we gave him baths, but never emerged his belly button in the water. just used washcloths to clean him and were careful to keep his cord dry. the doctor told us to use alcohol on it to help dry it out and fall off. the cheap target brand little alcohol wipes worked great for us :)

and just a tip from personal experience... my son was NOT a fan of the bath - until we kept a warm washcloth on his tummy (after his cord fell off, of course). i think he was so grumpy about it because, even though he was in warm water in the warm bathroom, he was cold. after we started putting a warm cloth on his tummy, he has been a much bigger fan of baths :)
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 2:07 PM on May. 22, 2011