DSs DR says its ok but other moms tell me otherwise...?

My DS is 9 months old, his Dr said at his last appointment to wean him off his bottle and start feeding him some of what my DH and I eat to transition him to eating "big people foods." I was explaining (bragging, I guess) about how awesome my lil man was doing with green beans, and mac n cheese, and how he's not a picky eater and is catching on quickly when I was told by someone I work with that he's too young for the foods I'm feeding him and its not good for him because he's not able to fully digest them yet. This made me feel like a bad mom, but the dr is the one that gave the go ahead in the first place...

He has four teeth, the top two, and bottom two... He hasn't seemed to have any problems, he's not gassy, and he used to be pretty badly, he's not stopped up, and seems to be really enjoying the experience of learning and eating these foods.

kpincince

Asked by kpincince at 2:47 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Green beans, sure. Mac and cheese, no.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:49 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I would assume his doctor knows more about his nutritional needs and digestive capabilities than some random coworker...
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 2:50 PM on May. 20, 2011

• You and your doctor are right. The little guys can eat adult food as long as they can chew it into small enough pieces to swallow. They just need to avoid the peanut butter, honey, and cow's milk.

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:50 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I started table foods right around the same time. Their pediatrician thought this was a great idea, and my children thrive wonderfully and are healthy as can be. I don't see anything wrong with this at all. As long as he is having no problems and you pay attention to what you are introducing and when, he will be fine. It is good for him to start learning to eat table foods at this age.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 2:51 PM on May. 20, 2011

• i dont think he is... we added ceral in my daughters nights bottle at 2 months and then started adding table food by 6 months... still gave her formula but not quite as much...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 2:51 PM on May. 20, 2011

• that sounds fine to me... especially the veggies.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:53 PM on May. 20, 2011

• He can eat any food he is able to pick up and put in his mouth and chew. My son ate a kid burger at 9.5 months, he held it and took bites.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:57 PM on May. 20, 2011

• My kids were eating pretty much everything at that age. My DDs favorite food at 9 months old? Chicken enchiladas.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:14 PM on May. 20, 2011

• go with what the doctor said and forget what other moms say
    NurseKlein

Answer by NurseKlein at 4:19 PM on May. 20, 2011

• its fine. go by what the dr said. my little one was eating table food at that age plenty. you are not a bad mom.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:35 PM on May. 20, 2011