Hair Color at Home

Any ladies that have colored their own hair at home, what brands did you use? Did you like them?
Were they perm or semi perm?

I've only used Herbal Essence that is to wash out in 25-30 washings. I find that my hair it lasts a little longer.
But I'm up to try something new

MrsDAP

Asked by MrsDAP at 2:53 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I use Clairol permanent....I love it, it lasts a really long time and the color is really bright and vivid
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:56 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I like the Garnier Fructisse line. It has an avocado oil that you add to it for extra moisture and it smells good. It feels more like a conditioner than a dye. That's just my preference. I know that reds (which are my favorite to experiment with) are the quickest to fade and the hardest to get rid of, so just keep that in mind.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 2:58 PM on May. 20, 2011

• i color at home, but i use Redken.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:58 PM on May. 20, 2011

• NIce N Easy was my brand of choice but like you, I'm willing to try something new that will cover greys. I've used most everything out there, semi-permanent and permanent and the new foam type of color. I tried the Nice N Easy foam and it burnt my scalp really bad and I got awkward results with way different tones. I never for a minute expected it because their regular color formula does wonders. So, my new brand of choice thus far is John Frieda foam colorant which did not burn, awesome color and highlights but have to wait to see if it fades (just dyed the hair two days ago). The Frieda line is more expensive but I had a free coupon. FYI, I always wait for a sale and use a coupon but if you don't go that route, it would be worth the cost especially since it's still way cheaper than going to a salon.
    Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 3:02 PM on May. 20, 2011

• @ DJsMommy - what do you mean when you say: "reds are the quickest to fade and the hardest to get rid of"???

@ Philly - I was wondering about those foams.

I normally go a red route. I'm a med brown naturally. I'd like to go a little lighter for spring/summer. I'm just worried going with more of a perm one that you'll really notice those roots growing out.
    And when I say I do my own hair.... its more like 2ce a year. I'm not one to go color as soon as roots start showing, thus going for the semi that kinda just fades
    MrsDAP

Comment by MrsDAP (original poster) at 3:07 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Any red hair dye. For whatever reason they fade faster than other colors so the initital brightness doesn't last. Contradicting itself, months and months down the road you're more than often going to see red tint in your hair still, even if you've dyed it another color. Red is one of those colors you have to keep up with or change completely. I remember a hairdresser telling me that once and i guess it just stuck lol
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 3:12 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I use Garnier Nutrisse, its permanent. I love the way it smells and it doesn't irritate the scalp like some can.
    musicspeak4me

Answer by musicspeak4me at 3:42 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I use Nice And Easy. In fact,I just dyed my hair like 2 hours ago,lol!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:03 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I tried the clariol foam, and really liked the results, it has a good natural look, instead of all the same tone.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 6:33 PM on May. 20, 2011

• gariner nutrrise.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 6:49 PM on May. 20, 2011