How did you get chipmunks out of your garden?

I've read up on the suggestions to rid your garden of certain rodents but I haven't heard of any actual success stories. I was going to try the pureed garlic or hot pepper trick that has you steep it in hot soapy water then strain out the garlic or pepper and add some oil to it and put it in a spray bottle. Does spraying your plants really work or am I dreaming? Barriers of fencing does not work and trapping is something I don't want to mess with. Any tried and true recipes that have worked for you to rid you of chipmunks or the like?

Philly247

Asked by Philly247 at 3:13 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Why would you want to? what are doing to your garden?

Answer by older at 3:14 PM on May. 20, 2011

• a 22 rifle or a fishing line is how people around here take care of rodents but there is a device I heard about that transmits a sound only rodents can here and it drives them away.. you would have to google it
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 3:14 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Electric fence
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:17 PM on May. 20, 2011

• my mil takes a potato peeler and "peels" layers from bars of soap and puts them around her yard. works on the deer and rodents
    mykidsmom86

Answer by mykidsmom86 at 9:00 PM on May. 20, 2011

• We have an abundance of them. My dog likes to chase them around the yard, silly thing thinks he may some day catch one. They don't bother our plants though.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 11:03 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Actually, what we have is squirrels, not chipmunks.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 11:04 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I have no idea, we don't have that kind or critter around here. I hope you find something that works!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:24 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I have no idea, the chipmunks don't really bother my garden. I feed the birds though so maybe they eat bird seed and leave my garden alone.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:39 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Not sure, we don't get them ehre.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:10 AM on May. 22, 2011

• As some of you may know, like most rodents, chipmunks disturb the root system and bulbs to plants since they are maniac hole makers. My wonderful neighbors decided to stack their fire pit wood right on the opposite side of the fence as my garden. This wood is a great place for these lil' buggers to make homes and hang out. Unfortunately, it's a great place for them to also destroy my garden. And no, I can not just move my garden or ask them to move their woodpile. I already mentioned this problem to the neighbors anyway.  Thanks for the great ideas ladies and boo on you who don't have chipmunks...lol.

Philly247

Comment by Philly247 (original poster) at 12:21 PM on May. 23, 2011