Anyone live in the Detroit area?

What is the best suburb to live in with school aged children that is affordable? I've been looking at houses online and there are some areas where the houses are so much cheaper and so nice... does that mean its a bad area? Specifically... Taylor, Romulus and Auburn Hills. I know Detroit and Pontiac are bad. Any thoughts?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 3:17 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Choose and Oakland County Suburb.

The best public schools are in Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills and West Bloomfield. Most Oakland suburbs have good schools though. Royal Oak, Clawson, Waterford, Farmington Hills...

Auburn Hills is okay too.

Message me if you want, i live in Oakland County.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:59 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I live in Phoenix now so pretty much any school in MI is better. We have one of the lowest rated school systems in the country. I just want to make sure my kids are safe. my oldest dd will be starting high school there. Do you recommend renting for the first year just to get to know the area?
    Mel_in_PHX

Comment by Mel_in_PHX (original poster) at 4:03 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I think renting is a good idea. There are so many rental houses right now...it'd be a good chance to get to know the neighborhood. In Oakland County some suburbs are very very urban, some are very rural. IMO, i'd choose a neighborhood with a lot of brick houses.

Also, just so you know, all of our basements leak. Even if they tell you they don't..."Don't" means it won't completely flood, but you'll get a little trickle every now and then so make sure everything you put in the basement is in plastic or not on the ground.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:12 PM on May. 20, 2011

• leaky basement... ugh! i grew up in upper mi and never had a problem. i'd love a basement that I can "finish" and use as livable space. The only issue i have with renting is we have 2 dogs, one is a big lab.
    Mel_in_PHX

Comment by Mel_in_PHX (original poster) at 4:16 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I am in Macomb County and Utica School District is a good one.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 4:45 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Nope. I live in Texas.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 11:01 PM on May. 20, 2011

• No idea but GL!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:23 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I live in Westland, about 30 minutes west of Detroit.... it is nice, schools are decent. If you want to live in Wayne County I would look in Livonia, Westland and Canton. Plymouth and Northville are super nice but also very pricey!
    JHanc968

Answer by JHanc968 at 4:00 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I'm in Ohio but I will give you a bump.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:32 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I grew up in MI, but lived in Brighton, which is pretty far from Detroit, looks like the first poster has some good solid advice for you. Good luck!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:10 AM on May. 22, 2011