What test can they do for a seizure? To check if that is what is going on.

Ny nephew will be 3 in July and I wrote a question about it a couple weeks ago. Well, the tests for the MRI came back normal and th EEG that he had done came back normal. But we are still really thinking it is a seizure. I mean if you look up mini seizures he has every single symtom on that. We have googled some of the other things the dr said it could be, but he only has maybe 1 or 2 of those symptoms to were the mini seizure he has every single symptom so we really think that is what it is. But why would those 2 test come back normal? My brother in law called the doctor to see about getting more test done. They go to the same dr we do so I can't believe our dr would say this because he is I thought the best dr. and I loved her, but suposably she said there wasn't anything they can do and if it happens again just to call 911.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 3:17 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Poor kid, that has to be scary.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:35 AM on May. 23, 2011

• When a child have 2 or more consecutive seizures. Then the child is diagnosed with epilepsy. There is a study with the National Institute of Mental Health say that when a child might be having a seizure the child might show some signs maybe the child might become anxious, or maybe the child might have a strange odor coming from his mouth. Doctor will tell you where the seizures are coming from. Unless you have a previous illness or an accident. Doctors can prescribe drugs to prevent seizures such as Gabapentin, Trileptal, Gabriti, many drugs out there. The important thing is to prevent seizures from happening. About MRI and EEG tests not showing abnormalities. That's completely normal for some patients. The only thing is that doctors can't explain this pattern.
    Anonymous

• They will need to SEE it happen. They can hospitalize him (like a sleep study) with an EEG on him, and monitor him. Here's a link to the epilepsy foundation site

http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/

WebMD http://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/guide/diagnosing-epilepsy

10 questions to ask http://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/guide/questions-for-doctor-epilepsy

HTH!!! Good luck!

CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 3:23 PM on May. 20, 2011

• when he does this it use to be every couple months from turning 2. now it is every 2 weeks and he doesn't ever do it at home by himself (only child). It is usually when our kids are at his house or he is over our house or when he is at the daycare with other kids. Every episode he has had has been woth other kids
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 3:26 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I think the test would only come back wrong if he was actually having a seizure while they were taking it. Or right after. Your brain goes back to normal in between. I have had quite a few seizures. All my tests have always come back normal.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:44 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Absence seizures, which is a type of seizure where the person stares or becomes inattentive w/o memory of the event, are often difficult to catch, so repeated EEGs may be needed. The doctors are not going to prescribe seizure medication until they are certain that it is a seizure causing the event. If you know when he's having the seizure-like activity, could you set up a video camera & video it for the neurologist? It sounds almost like when he gets overexcited, he goes into overload and that's when you see the behaviors, so set him up in that type of situation & record it.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:33 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Very informative answers. Thoughts are with your family for his screening!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:38 PM on May. 21, 2011

• The only advice that I have is to keep the neurologists appointments. When children are suspected of having absence seizures the best way the doctor to know is by observing and monitoring the patient.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 5:17 PM on May. 21, 2011

• They made me keep my son awake all night long. Then when he went for his appointment they did some test where he laid down in a dark room and they had him blink his eyes on and off and od all these things for them. After that they turned the lights down and strobed the lights for so many minutes and he had to lay there and watch it. The reults came back and they said the cold not figure out what it was that caised the seizure.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:50 PM on May. 21, 2011