• In the Spotlight:

If you have older & younger kids, do you require the oldest play with the younger one.

I have a 12 year old & a 15 year old who complain so much when I ask them to play house with their 4 year old sister. They used to play together all the time. It hurts my 4 year olds feelings.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• They are at that age where they aren't going to play house with a 4 year old. So don't get upset. Maybe you can play house with her?
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't really expect them to play with her so much, as to help take care of her and keep an eye on her.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 3:06 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My little brother and I are 6 years apart, and we played rarely. He was to little to do what I wanted to do, and the things he wanted to do were not of interest to me but when we felt like it I would sit in the floor and play with him, or I would do stuff easier for him to do. They may play with her here and there, but it will be at their will, forcing them will make them even more resistant to doing it.
    Momma_Neko

Answer by Momma_Neko at 3:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I have a 17 yr old and would prefer he no longer play with the littler ones. They are 12 and 10 and I think he forgets sometimes that he needs to watch what he says and does in front of them. It pisses me off to no end. So I wish he would just hang out in his room. They are not supposed to go in there but they do occasionally. I would not make a 12 and 15 yr old play with a 4 yr old. If they want to play with her thats fine but don't make them.
    crazymom1775

Answer by crazymom1775 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• No I never force my kids to play together. I would think it would make them resentful of each other. I do however make my 14 year old take my 4 year old to the playground occassionaly.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 3:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• No I would not force them to play together. If you do the older ones are always going to feel like they are being jipped and that the younger one get everything they want. And they will be mean to the younger one because they have to play with her. Why dont you play with her instead?
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 4:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• No, I don't force them to play with one another, but I do explain the concept of treating one another with love and respect and how we honor one another. I also explain that if they play, then later on that sibling might do something nice for them....Then I let them make their own choice.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:53 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My older are 14 and 17 yr old girls and the younger are 2 and 3 yr old boys. The girls are a great help to me but they are my children so I do not require them to do anything...it is my job.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2008