Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Selling a house

I am selling my house. It has been on the market for 2 months with no bites.

How long should I wait before talking to the realtor about lowering the price?


Asked by Jademom07 at 3:35 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 34 (64,323 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • It depends on how much you need to sell. With the summer coming, you may have increased opportunity for selling because people in families will often relocate in-between school years. If you can hang in there, it may be worth waiting.

    But, if you are paying out on a mortgage, you may want to run the numbers and see how much you are really spending to hold onto the house.

    Now, we have seen a little improvement in the job market and general spending, but it probably will not benefit the housing market for a very long time. Prices, in some places, are contiuing to drop slightly. Don't believe anyone who tells you that the prices will be going up anythime soon.

    Run the numbers.


    Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:42 PM on May. 20, 2011

  • It depends on the comps in your neighborhood. If you are at the very top of the going price in your area, I would talk to the realtor. You want your price to be competitive.

    Answer by myfamilymylife1 at 3:49 PM on May. 20, 2011

  • We had our house up for 6 months before we lowered it. Its a great time to buy so wait until at least Sept. The summer months is when people want/need to move so stay strong on the price. Good luck -

    Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:55 PM on May. 20, 2011

  • By no bites do you mean no offers, or no one even coming to see your home?

    If you don't have anyone even looking at the home, then it's time to lower it. If you're getting plenty of folks coming through, then get some feedback from them about what they did and didn't like about your home...if price keeps coming up as a turn-off point, then it would probably be good to lower it.

    Answer by Dkhilly at 4:07 PM on May. 20, 2011

  • We have had our house on the market for only a month and our realtor recommended to lower it so we did.

    Answer by AmyMK at 4:22 PM on May. 21, 2011