Would you get your son a bed?

so mid-2o's son decided to move into his grandmother's house... partially to help her out but also to pay off his debt to be able to go to college (student loans went into default)... great-aunt's husband died so son moved out of grandma's house so great aunt can move in... son left his bed there for great-aunt... moved into his friends and has been sleeping on the couch ever since. son's pay is just $50 over his bills (which now includes rent- not even food!)

Would you buy son a bed?

(parents of son are kinda well off; dad just bought a new 2011 car, mom has bought the wii, a few 42 in hdtvs; 3, i think.... you get the point... the bed is only $150, but for some reason they refuse to buy it for him... they have a GREAT relationship so its not that)

** I'm his girlfriend. I offered to buy him a bed, but he kept declining!

he kept saying that as soon as his money is right, he'll get one.. so i went ahead and got him a bunch of clothes (about $300 worth- for a few different reasons for a present)... but it seems like one thing or another takes his money-- he helped pay for the great uncle's funeral, plus he had to cover another house mates portion of his rent, then the issues with his POS car! if its not the tires, then its the engine... then the tires they gave him, one was too small and completely blew up (had a big knot on it too!)...

i might get him a bed... but then there's also that man- ego... he already feels that i do too much for him when it should be the other way around (he should flower me with gifts.. in all honesty he does more for me than i do for him. just not financially if that makes sense)... the thing is, he DOES have a room there- everything else is nicely kept; his clothes are in the closet and dressers, etc... he's just missing a bed. lol

should i do it, or have i overstepped my helping? we've been together going on 4 years

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• I would.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:42 PM on May. 20, 2011

• yeah...i would buy my son the bed. ESPECIALLY if he was in college working towards his education.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:43 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Yes. I would. No question.
    myfamilymylife1

Answer by myfamilymylife1 at 3:46 PM on May. 20, 2011

• He gave his bed to great aunt. It's not like he sold it for crack. Yes I would buy him a new bed.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 3:48 PM on May. 20, 2011

• No, why are his well-to-do parents so cheap?
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 4:16 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Honestly, I'd buy him the mattress and then hit Craigslist and the local antique/junk shops for a frame since he so generously gave the one I probably originally bought him to his Aunt.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:20 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Oh yes I would for sure.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 1:40 AM on May. 21, 2011

• yes
    n740

Answer by n740 at 1:58 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Yes
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:32 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Yes.....I would since he is in college. I feel sorry for the kid.
    pjackson01

Answer by pjackson01 at 2:47 PM on May. 22, 2011