how can I wean my son from the bedtime nursing session?

He is nearly 15 mths old and we are basically down to 1 nursing session/day...the one right at bedtime. I just don't know how to get him to give this one up. My husband is willing to put him to bed, but I suspect there may be lots of crying.
He is able to go to sleep on his own for naps -- at daycare, but on the weekends, looks to me. How can I completely wean him?

irishnewmom

Asked by irishnewmom at 2:49 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is almost 2 and until 4 days ago she nursed for comfort and to go to sleep for her naps and also when she wakes at night. I now have her only nursing in the middle of the night if she insist to go back to sleep. I just keep telling her that we are not doing that anymore and hand her a sippy cup of milk and to my surprise she will drink it. We have to go through this about 3-4 times, then i "walk with her", I pace the house patting her back and humming xmas songs and she falls asleep within 5 or so minutes. We are on day 4 and thats really good for her even though we do it in the middle of the night. Im going to keep it this way for another couple week or so, until she is really used to it and not asking for it anymore, then try things for in the middle of the night. Good luck.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• why do you want to? he is still getting benefits even if its only once.
    Anonymous

• my son is 1 and has this night feed also. However not every night. Sometimes I feed him downstairs during the evening and my boyfriend will take him to bed and he goes straight out for him. If I go up he will play about and be on me every second. Whereas if he goes up with his dad he goes to sleep really well.

Sometimes I do have to go up and feed him to sleep, but sometimes I dont.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I had to stop nursing my daughter because i had to take some antibiotics that were unhealthy for her. She was 16 months old at the time. We had to do it the rough way, cold turkey! For three nights my husband had to put her to bed and I had to stay out of the room. She cried alot those first three nights but after that, no crying at all. It's rough for the first few days and you feel like crap because you think there is no reason you should be making a toddler cry like that, but it's not going to do any harm in all honesty.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• wow im ready to stop the breastfeeding my lil 1 is also 16 mos..and very stuborn more attached ...i can only be awy for about an hour n 1/2 maybe 2...as for the night im always with her i really dont mind but she needs to swich...lately ive been giving her lots to eat and drink let her run around alot ..it helps so ima try now to let my mom put her to sleep shes comfortable with her its just gonna take alot of patience rite?
    thesweetestone

Answer by thesweetestone at 4:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My DS is 16 months old and is still nursing once a day, every morning when he first wakes up... At about 12 months he had his 1st taste of organic whole milk and fell in love! We started nursing at bedtime, and then again in the morning, but about 2 months ago my work schedule changed, and nursing before bed had to be weaned... To wean DS off our nighttime nursing I just put something else in it's place. For example, now instead of nursing right before bed, we take a bath, sit together in the rocking chair and read a book, say our prayers, and then ask Daddy to come with us to go "Na-Night." DS then walks with us into his room, we put him in his crib, start his music, say "Good Night. See you in the Morning," and leave his room... He goes to bed without any problems...
    thea11ens

Answer by thea11ens at 8:44 AM on Dec. 8, 2008