Does your religion take a position regarding the end of the world?

So I'm rather tired of seeing all of the Harold Camping posts, but since we're on the topic, I was wondering if your religious beliefs include something about the end of the world? Or do you not believe the world has an end? (Which religion do you ascribe to?)

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 4:11 PM on May. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• By the world, do you mean human life on earth?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:13 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Whatever .... I guess you could answer it either way - does human kind have an end? Does the earth have an end?
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 4:14 PM on May. 20, 2011

• The scientific stance is the sun will eventually come to the end of its life in about 5 billion years. That will be the end of life on Earth for certain.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:19 PM on May. 20, 2011

• @anng.atlanta

Since the distinction was made earlier ... do you believe that mankind will last for another 5 billions years?
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 4:20 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I'm Catholic, I believe in the bible verse that says no one will know the hour....basically for me that means when there is a frenzy and people think the world is ending, it pushes it back further in my mind. I believe it will be a surprise for us all.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 4:25 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Not as we think of man today. Evolution and genetic manipulation will certainly have an impact assuming we haven't killed ourselves off or been environmentally destroyed (meteors, super volcanoes, etc). The earliest human remains found so far are ~6 million years old, a drop in the bucket compared to 5 billion years.

I'm a big sci-fi fan, so I love to imagine we'll have spread out to other planets before our sun's demise.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:31 PM on May. 20, 2011

• cdecker83 .... I know in the Protestant denominations there are various ideas about the end times. Some believe in a literal 7 year Tribulation, some believe that the millennial reign of Christ is a figurative 1000 years. Can you tell me more about what Catholics believe about the details of Biblical end times?
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 4:32 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Not any Ive ever seen. I think eventually the world will change so much that life will either have to adapt or die out.

(Im an eclectic witch)
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:42 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Yes, and the description coincides with pretty much every detail of the projected end that will occur in 4.5 billion years when the sun runs out of gas and expands (and where it doesn't, it doesn't contradict it, either, it just doesn't address those aspects at all)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:43 PM on May. 20, 2011

• My personal beliefs are that the end of the world will come naturally, through, say the sun runs out of gas, or something like that, or will be destroyed because of something WE do, like not taking care of it or outright blowing it to pieces in a war or something. I reject any idea of a supernatural "end of the world", though.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:46 PM on May. 20, 2011